We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Sarlat

Which Sarlat-la-Caneda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hyannis...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Car rental in Sarlat

Any recommendation for a specific car rental place or places in Sarlat?

Can we rent one with automatic shift?

Ft. Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
24 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car rental in Sarlat

My previous post was just removed so I will try to rewrite since this is a serious issue that other travelers wanting to rent from Europcar in Sarlat NEED to be aware of. I will present just facts and not opinion. In a nutshell... even though you ASK for COMPLETE INSURANCE COVERAGE in Sarlat, you may not get it. You must actually call the insurance company that the rental company uses and make certain you have something called "Serenity Pack Plus" ... not just "Serenity". Although you will NOT be told at the rental office that you have any choices, apparently you actually do for if YOU do not make them, they will be made for you by the agent. Then should you have a car problem, like I did, Europcar in Sarlat will say that it is not covered because YOU took out the wrong insurance.

Initially, I made quite a big issue of asking to be completely covered insurance wise for everything. I told the agent I did not care about the cost, but wanted to be able to drive and feel secure that I was covered for anything that was either someone else's fault or my fault. I took the car with assurance of being totally covered. The price that was initially quoted for insurance, certainly suggested that I was getting supreme coverage.

Miday on Tuesday, May 29th, I had a flat tire. I called the emergency roadside service that Europcar guarantees to assist 24/7. Because I don't speak French fluently, I got the hotel concierge to call for me but after several exhaustive attempts with no success, she finally gave up. Thus I called the agent in Sarlat, who told me NOT to call the emergency service because they would take that car and I would not get the GPS, which I needed badly. She told me to call a local garage and not to worry because I was covered and that the costs would be deducted from my rental bill.

The kind hotel concierge continued to assist me and called a garage she personally knew. A man came in a repair truck but needed to take the tire in for repair and told me it would be two days. I could not wait two days as I was flying home. He called his boss and they agreed to help me but I had to come into the garage and pay for it in advance.

My husband would have had a fit. He had made me promise to be extra careful traveling on my own. Yet, I had to get into a truck with a man I did not know and go to a garage in a town I did not know. I was very uncomfortable doing this. This certainly was not what I expected from Europcar who promises in writing "the very finest rental experience" and guarantees 24/7 roadside service.

I paid for the tire since the Sarlat agent promised that any repair bill would be deducted from the final rental fee. It was 300 euros. Part of that may have been for the emergency service, I don't know because they spoke no English and my French is too poor to count on regarding car repair. I do not know why I needed an entire tire instead of just a tire repair.

Upon returning the car to Charles DeGaulle airport per the rental agreement, the airport agent called the Sarlat agent and faxed her the tire repair bill. She told me that Sarlat said, not to worry, that it would be deducted from the rental agreement.

But it was not.

I got a voice mail saying basically "sorry" but your insurance did not cover you. I called Sarlat and spoke to the agent who told me that she "thought" I was covered. She was the one who made the rental agreement and charged me for the insurance coverage yet she did not know? I told her this was not acceptable. That I had trusted her and reminded her that I said I did not care about the cost of the insurance but absolutely wanted FULL COMPLETE COVERAGE.

She got upset, did not handle the call professionally, mocked me, laughed, and said she would talk to the insurance company again.. and hung up. That was at 9:00 France time. I called back at 3 pm France time only to learn she had left for the day and would not be back for several days.

I was able to convince the other agent to give me the number for the person who was their boss and I thus spoke to the man who oversees fifteen Europcar agencies, including Sarlat. He divulged that if I'd had the "Serenity pack plus" insurance... I would have been covered, but that "I had taken" only Serenity. He was unmovable about paying for the tire and refused to acknowledge the agent's responsibility. What bothered me most, was that he said this happened all the time. To hundreds of people.

I had no idea that the Sarlat agent had left me so badly exposed financially! If they would not cover a simple tire, what else would they have not paid for? The thought of this is quite frightening.

Please use my experience with Europcar in Sarlat to guide your rental choices.

I shall be calling the corporate office at 3 am (9:00 am France time). It took me many hours today to finally get the telephone number for customer service and now read that others have had the same trouble. I will post what happens. Please feel free to contact me through Trip Advisor. ~~Betty

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
982 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car rental in Sarlat

I am renting a car also and have looked at Europe by Car, AutoEurope and also compared a quote direct with the agencies, such as Europcar.

The quote from AutoEurope was only about $30 cheaper than the direct quote from Europcar, and AutoEurope did not give me an option to add GPS rental onto the quote. For a period of 10 July to 22 July the cost with GPS unit was 508 euros.

This price includes CDW with an excess up to 700 euros and TP with excess up to 850 euros. It does not include (obviously) the additional insurances such as Super CDW, regular and super personal insurances and the cover for tires, windscreen, etc.

My question is - do I actually NEED to get any of these extra insurances? Many people have advised to not take out the agency's extra insurances if my own personal travel insurance is adequate. I just want to ensure that I am not underinsured.

13. Re: Car rental in Sarlat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, June 07, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Car rental in Sarlat

Need is a personal choice -- talk to your own auto insurance, talk to your credit card companies, and see what is available to you (and what might be included under your current coverage.

Ft. Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
24 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car rental in Sarlat

I am not sure why my post was again removed. I learned a great deal from the problem I had renting from Europcar Sarlat, and hopefully readers can benefit from it. I can not believe it is wrong to warn readers about the importance of completely reading your insurance papers before you drive away. It is not enough to rely on the promises and assurances of the rental car agent. Apparently it is necessary to research the different LEVELS of car insurance the agency offers and select what you want at the time you make your reservation. Your agent may not explain your options, nor even give you a choice of options. I certainly wish I had been warned about how much more difficult dealing with a post drop off issue, from a French agency would be, to due to all messaging and prompts being in French. Is it wrong to tell readers that I have learned that the Sarlat Europcar branch is a "licensed agency" which means it does not fall under the Europcar jurisdiction? I think this is very important, especially when one finds one's credit card charged for more than was agreed. We should always be allowed to speak to someone in authority over the agency but when one is denied that information, it becomes impossible to discuss the issue.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
982 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Car rental in Sarlat

With the legal requirements of driving in France, this being needing those emergency triangles and the yellow fluroscent jackets, will the hire agency have these already in the car?

I am going to book with Avis and get a GPS unit, but not sure about those other two items.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,650 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Car rental in Sarlat

Your rental car should come with a reflective triangle, a hi-vis jacket, and two breathalyser kits. Check for them before you drive away.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Car rental in Sarlat

I booked with carhire3000 and they have a car hire place in Sarlat near the train station, although Im not going until August so don't know if it's going to work without any hiccups.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,650 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Car rental in Sarlat

CarHire3000 are an agency that arranges rentals with the major companies. It does not have any rental offices anywhere.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
982 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Car rental in Sarlat

I ended up renting in France with Avis. I picked up at Gare St Jean and dropped it off this morning at TGV Avignon. I ended up paying for the super insurance as it cost 100 euros and I felt that was much easier than having to pay up to 800 euro excess and then go through the hassle of claiming insurance. I am glad I did as there were a few tight squeezes I had to go through and there were some scrapes on the wheel although not sure if they will notice them or not.

As for the legal requirements, there was NO high vis jacket or emergency triangle in the car. They did not provide it and I totally forgot to ask about it when I got the car. Another person I met who also hired through Avis said they also did not get any of those items and when they queried it with Avis were told not to worry because if anything should come out of them not having it (in terms of a fine, etc) it will be their (as in Avis) fault. I don't know about that though....

Get answers to your questions about Sarlat-la-Caneda