We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convenient way to get from Sarlat to Paris without a car?

Wheaton, Maryland
Level Contributor
149 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Convenient way to get from Sarlat to Paris without a car?

My parents will be joining my family (3 people) in France for part of our vacation. My family will be renting a car before and after seeing Sarlat, and my parents will join us traveling by car from Paris to and around Sarlat. Though we will drive with my parents to Sarlat, they will be going back to Paris as we head further south.

Due to my family's plan to drive early Monday morning when we're leaving Sarlat, I believe my parents will prefer to sleep in at their hotel/B&B. They do not want to drive in France. If they decide to get up a little later in the morning, what are some (any?) options for them to return to Paris by early evening that do not require them to drive?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,218 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convenient way to get from Sarlat to Paris without a car?

They can take the train from Sarlat to either Libourne or Bordeaux, then take the TGV to Paris Montparnasse station. Alternatively on certain days there is a bus from Sarlat to Souillac to connect with the slower train to Paris Austerlitz station.

These are the only ways without driving.

You can obtain times and fares for the journey at www.voyages-sncf.com - but if the proposed date of travel is more than 90 days in advance use a day (eg any Monday) to see what the train times are likely to be.

These must be checked a the appropriate time as French timetables change for the summer in early July. Also, the line at Sarlat is closed for reconstruction until end June, with buses replacing trains for part of the journey. The general pattern of service won't be a great deal different after 1stJuly but details will change.

The journey takes about 5hrs 30 minutes

Bookings can be made on line at www.voyages-sncf.com and the earlier they book the cheaper it is likely to be.

Beware selecting USA as your country - you may be redirected to the Rail Europe site. That is a ticketing agency and will impose a surcharge on the ticket price. Try to stick with the French site if you can.

I hope that helps.

2. Re: Convenient way to get from Sarlat to Paris without a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, October 25, 2012