We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paris to sarlat again

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
paris to sarlat again

will also be in paris on 27th may and need to get to sarlat. please advise on road vs rail vs flights. surely there must ne a flight!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,067 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paris to sarlat again

There are flights from Paris Orly to Bordeaux, but it would still be quite a hike to get from there to Sarlat-la-Caneda. See www.kayak.com

There are trains from Paris to Sarlat, taking 5h46 and upwards, with a change in Libourne or Bordeaux. See www.tgv-europe.com/en

I think your best bet would be to rent a car. Even then, the journey is some 540 km (340 miles) and it would take over 5 hours of driving on autoroutes, plus stops. See www.viamichelin.com

There are no long-distance bus or coach services in France.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paris to sarlat again

This is not a swipe at the OP, as there has been a flood of similar posts this year along this same theme -- everyone wants to get far away from everything by going to the Dordogne...but no one wants to believe that it's really far away from everything. If it's served by an airport, a coach, and a big train station...it's still the middle of everything.

Cleckheaton, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: paris to sarlat again

There are flight from paris to the newly opened Brive Cressenac airport, 30 minutes from Sarlat,

I think its possible to fly to Bergerac also, 1 hour away. You can also fly to Toulouse.

UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paris to sarlat again

You can also get a train direct from Paris Austerlitz to Brive. Tickets on railerope.co.uk - It takes 4 hours

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: paris to sarlat again

It is a little-known fact that Yogi Berra was actually referring to Sarlat when he made his comment: "It's so crowded nobody goes there anymore."

As for asking about flights, it's a bit like asking if there are flights to Mousehole...

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: paris to sarlat again

We made this trip during the same time last year. Took the train from Gare d'Austerlitz to Limoges and picked up a rental car at the train station there. About a 3 hr. train ride. Very comfy and easy. The drive from Limoges to Sarlat is about 90 minutes, about half on major highway and the remainder lovely country roads. Would do it this way again. I hope some day I can!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,975 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: paris to sarlat again

The nearest airport to Sarlat is the little one at Bergerac which has a weekdays only flight from Paris Orly operaed by Twinjet. All other flights to and from Bergerac are with UK low cost airlines plus flights from Brussels and Rotterdam.

Sarlat is about 80 minutes by train from Bergerac once you have got from the airport to the station.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: paris to sarlat again

We are going to make this trip later in the year and plan to fly from Paris to Bordeaux and then pick up a car there. We plan to stay the night in Bordeaux (partly because we don't think it safe to start driving when you get to the end of a long-haul set of flights and partly for interest). You could do the same by train - currently we are finding the flights cheaper.

But now I'm off to check the Limoges option....

Maryland
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: paris to sarlat again

Hello:

Hope you can help. We're coming to Sarlat for the first time from the States. It appears from reading this post that there's no direct way to get there. Could you comment on how easy is it to navigate from Limoges (per your recommendation) via the road to Sarlat? We have a 1 y/o toddler with us and am wondering if it's wise to tackle an unfamiliar road especially when we don't speak French :)!

Thanks for your help!

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: paris to sarlat again

You can drive from Limoges to Sarlat in about 2-2,5 hours. Alternatively you can take the train to Brive-la-Gaillarde, about 4 hours from Paris, and drive about an hour to Sarlat. Or you can take the train to Sarlat with one change in Libourne but trains on this route are not frequent.

Driving in France is not difficult. The Michelin 1:200.000 scale maps are among the best road maps I have ever seen, and a GPS, especially if you bring one with which you are familiar from home pre-loaded with the proper maps, will help you out if you think you will need help. (I don't think a GPS is essential but I do think you absolutely need the maps.) The Michelin maps also dovetail very nicely with the Micvhelin regional guides such as that for the Dordogne.

French roads are well-engineered and maintained and in general well sign-posted. My guess would be that the vast majority of non-French visitors who rent cars in France speak no more than basic French if that. I don't think you will have a problem. Unless you are going to limit your visit to the area within walking distance of where you are staying you will need a car in any case. If you don't want to wander any farther than you can walk my suggestion would be that you take the train all the way to Sarlat.

www.viamichelin.com will help with driving distances and somewhat optimistic estimates of trip times.

(I assume you are NOT planning to drive from Limoges or anywhere else on the same day as you arrive in France from the US. That wouild not be a good idea especially with a toddler...)

Edited: 2:12 pm, July 21, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Sarlat-la-Caneda