We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling to a winery

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
735 posts
436 reviews
Save Topic
Cycling to a winery

Sorry I have another...

During our visit to Sarlat in August we were also considering hiring push bikes to cycle to a winery, do a tasting and have lunch. We live in Canberra in Australia, perhaps the country’s foremost ‘cool climate’ wine region, visiting a local winery for a tasting and then lunch is a highlight activity in summer or winter (you just change the wines and the venue) and I’m Looking for something similar in Sarlat. I can’t see a winery that would fit; with cellar door offering tastings, cafe/restaurant and easy riding for a couple of moderately fit, 50 year olds. Any suggestions much appreciated. Cheers.

9 replies to this topic
England, United...
Level Contributor
7,402 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling to a winery

That particular area of France (Dordogne) is not noted for its wines.

The few vineyards that are close to Sarlat are fairly small and tend not to offer formal tours but you could try researching Cotes de Bergerac, Pecharment, Duras, etc

For "better" wines (and I do realise this is personal taste), you would probably have to travel to St. Emilion or Bordeaux or to Cahors, none of which would be possible by bike as Bordeaux is 2.5hrs. by car.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Dordogne
Dordogne
Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Bergerac
Bergerac
Dordogne, France
Saint-Emilion
Saint-Emilion
Gironde, France
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Cahors
Cahors
Lot, France
Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling to a winery

As pam said, this area is not noted for its wine. And you do not often find the places such as you mention - a winery for tasting and a cafe / shop for lunch and buying other things such as regional products - in France. Very often it is simply a degustation sign and you knock on the door. We have visited quite a few wine regions over the years and rarely do tastings. We do stop at some of the excellent wine co-ops we have come across and taste a couple . If you do a tasting you will be expected to buy something. This is not an issue for us as we stay in self catering .

We enjoyed the wines in the Lot et Garonne in 2016 and frequented the co-op in Duras. You can taste wines in Bergerac and Monbazillac. There is a red called Pecharmant which is produced in small quantities at Bergerac. Cahors has a dark red ( Malbec grape I think ).

I hope you will have a car for this region as it makes it much easier to see what it has to offer. We stayed near Cenac in 2014 . This is what we did . Scroll through to the Dordogne section.

https:/…

Bon voyage.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Lot-et-Garonne
Lot-et-Garonne
Bergerac
Bergerac
Dordogne, France
Cahors
Cahors
Lot, France
Dordogne
Dordogne
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
524 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling to a winery

As the others have said, Sarlat is not in a wine region. You'd need to put your bikes on the local TER Aquitaine line train from Sarlat to Bergerac, then hop out and cycle either a few kms north to the Pecharmant appellation (several wineries here, known for their medium-bodied reds, as Phirhon said), or cycle south of Bergerac into the vineyards of Monbazillac. You could do a tour & tasting at Chateau Monbazillac, and then cycle a couple of kms further west to La Tour des Vents. They have a formal one Michelin star restaurant, as well as a more casual bistro. Or you could cycle back into Bergerac (very pretty medieval Old Town centre) for a choice of several great bistros. Just check the train timetables carefully as this train service is not terribly frequent!

Edited: 4:35 am, June 11, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Aquitaine
Aquitaine
Bergerac
Bergerac
Dordogne, France
La Tour des Vents
La Tour des Vents
667 Reviews
Monbazillac, France
Angers, France
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling to a winery

…dordogne.fr/wp-content/…A9ou.pdf

There is a cycling path near Sarlat, starting of Castelnaud in direction of Daglan. It's named in french "voie verte de la vallée du céou".

The vineyards of Domme have been very reknowed but they have been destroyed by deseases early 1900. Some winemakers have decided to reintroduce wine in this valley. You could ask tourist office of Daglan about that. Personnaly I have already used this cycling path, (some times it's free of cars, sometimes not), it's very pleasant. For the wineyards, as I was not specially interested by that, so I don't remember having seen them, but according to my link about the cycling path, they exist.

Otherwise, Cahors has very good wines, but with few cycling pathes.

Edited: 4:47 am, June 11, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Cahors
Cahors
Lot, France
Angers, France
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycling to a winery

Here is an extract of the PDF about the path "vallée du céou". Follow the pannels " Tour panoramique de Moncalou", go to the village of Florimont Gaumier, ( it's slopy !), and you will be in the wineyards of Domme.Good new, for the return, it will be easy, the path being flat in the valley.

Depuis Daglan, en sortant de la vélo route, si vous suivez les indications « Tour panoramique de Moncalou », vous accèderez au village de Florimont Gaumier (dénivelé assez important) où vous serez dans le vignoble de Domme. Ce vignoble été célèbre avant sa disparition au début du XXème siècle par la crise du phylloxéra. Dans les années 70, des agriculteurs amoureux de lavigne ont décidé de replanter sur ce lieu.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cycling to a winery

Bernard’s suggestion is excellent for somewhere not too far from Sarlat. I’ve tried the red Vin de Domme (although not at the vineyard) and it’s quite a good robust basic wine. They also do whites and rosés.

You can visit the vineyard for a tasting and a purchase (I think it’s fun to drink wine from a vineyard you can see even if the wine isn’t a ‘grand cru’). Check the opening hours though:

sarlat-tourisme.com/en/cave-du-vin-de-domme

You cannot eat at the vineyard but there but there is a restaurant La Terrasse de Moncalou very close by, opposite the viewing tower of Moncalou which Bernard mentioned. Again, do check opening days and times and/or phone beforehand.

http://www.moncalou.eu/

Don’t expect superlatives to apply to either the wine or the restaurant, but this could be a great day out doing something a bit different, if you have time for it. Have fun!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
735 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cycling to a winery

Many thanks all of you for the advice and the suggestions. Celestina you have captured exactly what we’re looking for, “... a great day out doing something a bit different” the food doesn’t have to be superlative nor the wine (my partner dilutes her’s with water anyway) although they do both need to be good or at least adequate. So between Bernard’s (et merci biens Bernard) suggestion and yours I think we have the makings of exactly what we’re looking for.

Angers, France
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cycling to a winery

So the wineyards of Domme exist as Celestina has drunken this wine ! Good new for my next visit. For the slope, I have already drived on the road between Domme and the Céou valley, and in my memory it was a little pass, so you well need good hells, but perharps you will not have to ride to the summit of the plateau between the two valleys.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
735 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cycling to a winery

Cheers Bernard, I’ll look to improve my “hells” as much as possible before we depart! 😉 although it may be my inveterate laziness that will be my biggest obstacle to overcome.

Reply to: Cycling to a winery
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sarlat-la-Caneda