We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Avignon to Mulhouse, Salzburg and Munich

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Avignon to Mulhouse, Salzburg and Munich

We are in the process of planning a drive trip. We live outside Avignon, France. We are thinking of driving to Mulhouse (staying a night), then to Salzburg (staying several nights), then to Munich (a night or two), then back home.

We had considered going Avignon to Lausanne, Salzburg, etc., but changed our minds when we found accommodations in Switzerland so expensive. We diverted ourselves a tad bit to remain in France the first night - where prices are more reasonable.

Question is, in doing some research on T/A, I read the posts regarding needing a certain environment sticker for our car when driving in Germany. Our car is a French registered Renault (not a rental car). Will we need to get the sticker? It sounds like it should be available at any garage, once we cross the border from France to Germany. Is this true?

Do we need a similar type of sticker for Switzerland or Austria?

Lastly, can anyone advise on driving conditions around Salzburg and/or Munich? I am not terribly keen on driving in large cities (though I can deal well with French ones as I am used to them) especially ones I don't know, with languages primarily in German, which I don't speak. Are motor route signs well marked, etc.?

THANK YOU!

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Driving from Avignon to Mulhouse, Salzburg and Munich

I know ! I was already thinking of making Strasbourg two nights - you just made it worse !! :-)

Your itinerary sounds like a lot of driving. Is it really or does it just sound like it? We love wine and would love to try a taste or two. We could leave the girls at the hotel (they'd love that if it was actually in the city center).

It will take us approx. 6h30 to get from Avignon to Strasbourg (that is my MAX amount of driving in a day). I'd really like to stay two nights. Staying in the center of town sounded so nice, but parking the car sounds like it could be a bit of a problem. What do you suggest? Something just outside of town? So we can take the drive you suggested?

22. Re: Driving from Avignon to Mulhouse, Salzburg and Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, October 27, 2010