We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The south and east of Corsica

Which Calvi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
The south and east of Corsica

We are planning ten days in Corsica and will have a car. I have learned quite a bit about the middle and upper half of the island but am interested in any tips anyone may have for special places (not too touristy) in the south or east. Or is it better to concentrate on a smaller area rather than travel the whole island?

Corsica, France
Level Contributor
87 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The south and east of Corsica

Hello Lucy

Over a 10-day period, if you want to relax a bit and given that the roads are a tad "winding", I'd suggest to stick to either the north or the south. Now if you're the kind who cannot stay in place, there is enough time to visit the whole island.

The East coast is probably not as nice as the rest of the island. However, there are plenty of people having a good time there so no offence meant. My recommendation there would be to go and visit "l"étang de Diane" which carries popular Oysters (probably not this summer though) and the place is quite unique. Nearby, is the beautiful beach of "Mare e Stagnu".

As for the south, well... for sthg a little out of the way, avoid Porto-Vecchio and bonifacio. Try the region of the "Alta rocca" for higher mountains and mountina sports, and, more secluded, the Taravo regions where you'll find plenty of great hikes and small villages, nice beaches in the gulf of Valinco and less people than in other places. Still you will find other tourists!

If you want to see a little more, I'd sugest a visit on: www.corsicaexperience.com. try the "places" section.

Have a great holiday!

JF

Edited: 8:39 am, April 22, 2012
Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The south and east of Corsica

That's just the kind of feedback I was hoping for Jeff, thanks. LL

London, United...
Level Contributor
293 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The south and east of Corsica

I wonder if you can detail why you say the east coast is not as nice as elsewhere on the island please? My other half is really keen to go as he likes very quiet places to visit and can't find anything written at all about the east side. I said probably 'there's nothing there then, not even pretty coastline or scenery!'. Please can you shed some light on why this could be? many thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,662 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The south and east of Corsica

Lucy...you didn't mention when you are travelling. Glad you have a car....you absolutely need one on Corsica. There is more "development" on the West Coast outside of a few towns like Bonifacio and Porto Vecchio on the Southeast Coast.

I would recommend either staying in the North or the South for your trip. My personal recommendation would be the South.

Jeffou is very generous in his description of the roads being a "tad winding." There isn't a hundred yards of straight road on the whole island! And traffic moves VERY slowly. Expect to travel at about 40 kms an hour. So, at that pace not really realistic to travel the whole island.

Bonifacio is wonderful in the South. Make sure that you visit at night when the ramparts are lit up. Spectacular!

Visit Sartene....the most Corsican of villages.

Rondinara Beach is gorgeous.

news12....virtually all of Corsica's coastline and scenery is spectacular.

Edited: 8:47 pm, April 14, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The south and east of Corsica

The east coast is not quiet in the attractive sense. There is a flat coastal plain, with a relatively straight and busy road only about a kilometre in from the beach. The beaches - except for the beautiful bays near porto vecchio - are long and straight, the sand is very fine and the water cloudy as a result. There are intermittent residences along the beach, and along the main road a lot of ribbon development and modern shops in nondescript villages. There is at least one nudist colony.

The best beaches are said to be Rondinara, palombaggia etc, but most beaches on the island are lovely, with clear somtimes turquoise water, except for that flat eastern strip.

So if you want quiet, mountains and beauty, I think Jeffou is right.

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The south and east of Corsica

Thanks for the recent postings on this query. I posted it last year and we have since had our holiday. It was so enjoyable that we will go again and next time will spend a month on the island. The beaches and the many walks are wonderful, as is the food and the people. The wines were great also. We will probably stay in four separate places for a week each next time. Yes, the roads are VERY slow and I agree with allowing an average speed of 40-50 kph when planning trips. Thanks again for your postings. LL

Wales
Level Contributor
293 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The south and east of Corsica

News12, you are right we could find nothing much written about the east coast before we went last year. Whilst it doesn't have the breathtaking scenery of the west coast it still is idyllic in its own way. The mountains provide a spectacular backdrop to the wide undulating plain from the foothills to the coast. Between Alistro and Aleria the beaches are backed by mediterranean woods in which numerous holiday villages are set. Many of these are naturist and provide either camping, caravan pitches or mini dwellings with direct access to the beach. Most of these sites have fantastic restaurants and bars on the beach. It really is a relaxing environment. We stayed at Bagheera (see my TA report) and enjoyed so much we are heading back at the end of August. There are one or two towns on the east coast - Ghissonaccia being one of the biggest with lots of bars and restaurants. I would recommend this part of Corsica for those wanting a really quiet simple holiday at one with nature - with some creature comforts thrown in! It is also a good base for exploring both north and south.

London, United...
Level Contributor
293 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The south and east of Corsica

Thank you Spinx, that's very useful info there :-)

9. Re: The south and east of Corsica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Calvi