We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Corsica?

Wales
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to go in Corsica?

Hello. Went to Corsica this summer (Porto Vecchio) and had a great time, would like to go to Corsica next year and I was wondering about other parts ie Calvi, has anyone got any advise on where has good beaches (child friendly) with a wide variety of restaurants?

Mentioned in this post
Corsica
Corsica
France
Porto-Vecchio
Porto-Vecchio
Corsica, France
Calvi
Calvi
Corsica, France
Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
557 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Corsica?

There's about 5 possible 'holiday zones' on Corsica, each of which can suffice for a holiday in its own right. You just have to choose whether to flit between them and just see the pretty surface or to stay in one area and appreciate it in depth.

1. Calvi & The Balagna. The beaches between Calvi and Ile Rousse are as good as PV, served by the charming railway line. The town itself seems to have every other building as a restaurant as well as being quite historic in its own right. Surrounding it is a countryside very different to PV, small mountain villages with stunning landscape and inhabited by people whose lives are not dominated by the tourist industry.

2. Propriano. Again, an area with lovely beaches on either side of the Gulf of Valinco. Prehistoric sites at Filitosa, older traditional towns such as Sartene and Olmeto, mountains to the North, river bathing and again a town full of restaurants.

3. The West Coast. The one I don't really know, running from the rather dull capital of Ajaccio through Cargese to Porto. Great beaches again and in the Gulf of Porto, the most beautiful place on earth (although that might just be my opinion).

4. The Centre. The area between Corte, the old capital and Zonza (where you may have gone to from PV) is mountainous and has some of the scariest roads on the island, but as a rule, scary roads have the prettiest views. Restaurants less thick on the ground apart from in Corte. If you like walks in amongst sharp mountains and by clear streams, try this one.

5. The West Coast. At least you have the virtue of being able to get around! Stretching up to Bastia in the North, this is a beach-pointed destination and although you could use it as a jumping off point for the inland areas, it's mainly about the water and the scenery around it.

Cap Corse (the finer sticking up at the top of the island) can be added to holidays 1 or 5 - it's not really big enough to be the focus of a holiday in itself.

So - got you sorted until 2012?

Mentioned in this post
Corsica
Corsica
France
Calvi
Calvi
Corsica, France
Ile Rousse
Ile Rousse
Corsica, France
Propriano
Propriano
Corsica, France
Filitosa
Filitosa
509 Reviews
Corsica, France
Ajaccio
Ajaccio
Corsica, France
Cargese
Cargese
Corsica, France
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Corte
Corte
Corsica, France
Bastia
Bastia
Corsica, France
Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Corsica?

Geoff

Great analysis of the different regions of Corsica, but shouldn't No. 5 read East Coast?

Mentioned in this post
Corsica
Corsica
France
Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
557 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Corsica?

Duh! Should proof-read these things shouldn't I?

Wales
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in Corsica?

Thanks so much for your advice! Any good accomidation you know of in Calvi?

Mentioned in this post
Calvi
Calvi
Corsica, France
Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
557 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in Corsica?

Others may be be better and more current than I since I haven't stayed in Calvi for several years, but I always enjoyed the St Erasme Hotel which is about 10-15 mins walk out of town but was a nice family-run hotel.

You can see it on http://www.hotel-st-erasme.com/ (if your French is limited don't be put off - if you go into the pages they have English translations). But others are probably more current, or know more about villas, if that's what you're after.

Mentioned in this post
Calvi
Calvi
Corsica, France
6. Re: Where to go in Corsica?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, September 08, 2009