We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ios or Mykonos?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
10 helpful votes
Ios or Mykonos?

Hello, my fiance and I are planning our honeymoon to Greece in May and I keep seeing amazing things about both Mykonos and Ios. Mykokos more from what I've read and Ios from friends who have been. We only have 10 days which will also include a night in Athens and several days in Santorini. We wanted to do another island. We both like cultural/historical stuff, sightseeing, nightlife, etc. and were thinking of doing the scuba diving tour on Ios. Just wanted to ask the forum if we were going to miss out on anything amazing to experience in Mykonos if we chose Ios. Any insight would be appreciated as this is our first time to Greece!

Edited: 9:30 pm, February 19, 2016
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
9,398 posts
1. Re: Ios or Mykonos?

What you will miss if you go to Ios is one of the best archeological sites in Greece, Delos, on an island just off Mykonos.You will also miss the high prices of everything on upmarket Mykonos. Nightlife in May will be low key on both islands.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
231 reviews
200 helpful votes
2. Re: Ios or Mykonos?

I would say : Listen to your friends. They know you, and they knows what you gets on Ios.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
51 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Ios or Mykonos?

It depends on when your friends visited, Ios will be very quiet in May. Mykonos will be a lot busier even though not as much as July, August.

Sofia
Level Contributor
14 posts
58 reviews
71 helpful votes
4. Re: Ios or Mykonos?

Mykonos has the greatest white town in the Cyclades. It is also very expensive and crowded in high season, but that may not be the case in May.

Neighboring Naxos is roughly half the price, has a smaller but also quite nice town and has a lot to offer in terms of history, food and especially beaches. Not much of a night life though.

Paros also has a beautiful white town called Naoussa, which is 10 min taxi ride from Parikia, the capital.

I haven't been to Ios yet - i am going this summer. However it seems to me to be a much smaller island with few asphalt roads and less sights. The beaches, though, seem fantastic and it is only 35 minutes by speed boat from Santorini.

Canton of Bern...
Level Contributor
213 posts
19 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: Ios or Mykonos?

You are correct OneNightTraveller with what you write about Ios. Have been there three times. There are not many sights. But the beaches are a blast (Mylopotas, Agia Theodotis, Psathi, Manganari or then the more remote papas or kalamos beach which you can't reach by the good asphalted road)! You can also rent a scooter, the main streets (actually more or less only one) is in good shape and even in summer you almost feel alone when driving outside of Chora. You will love it.

Don't know about scuba diving on Ios but I don't think you will miss much when not going for it.

Mykonos has a nice town, 2 beaches in the north which are not overcrowded (well, shouln't be a problem anywhere in May) and you can't reach by public transport and Delos which is interesting. But beside of that Mykonos is for me a little overrated.

I would have suggested doing both, Mykonos and Ios. But as you already go to Athens and Santorini there won't be enough time to make it all.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
8 helpful votes
6. Re: Ios or Mykonos?

Go to Ios. It is a truly special place. Something that words cannot quite describe.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
10 helpful votes
7. Re: Ios or Mykonos?

Thanks everyone! We decided to do Athens, Santorini, then Ios! We leave in a few weeks and can't wait! Thanks for your recommendations!

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
231 reviews
200 helpful votes
8. Re: Ios or Mykonos?

You will not be let down ! enjoy !

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Ios or Mykonos?

Extremely helpful info here, thanks a lot!

I have 3 days in Greece (June 20-21-22) and I fly out 23rd noon.

Really wish to visit Ios, should I ferry it from Athens on 20th and back on 22nd? Any idea which is the best site to book ferry from? and will it be happening that time?

Thanks a lot folks!

Sofia
Level Contributor
14 posts
58 reviews
71 helpful votes
10. Re: Ios or Mykonos?

I would think Athens to Ios and back in two consecutive days is too ambitious. You will basically spend your time travelling on ferries rather than sightseeing.

Why not spend your three days in Athens and use one of them to do a day trip to Hosios Loukas Monastery where you can see beautiful Byzantine mosaics?

If you are real keen on the Cyclades, then perhaps a better choice is to fly to Santorini from Athens and back. There are several direct flights daily and the trip is just 45 min. You can then spend the rest of the day roaming stunning Thira and Oia or even go to see the Red Beach and Akrotiri.

There are various sources for ferry tickets - aggregator sites like gtp.gr, aferry, and also company sites like seajets, blue star ferries, hellenic seaways, etc. who service the Cyclades routes.

Get answers to your questions about Ios