We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working in Ios

Perth, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Working in Ios

Hi

I am a 19 year old very out going and enthusiastic and I am thinking about going to Ios in March to work. Could any one please give me some information that would be helpful or on where to look.

you can email me at sambo_118@hotmail.com

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Working in Ios

1st thing is to remove your email addy from your post! 2nd, season starts in May so you will be a bit early, fine if you have money to hang around for a couple of months and line a job up.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,770 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Working in Ios

Hi and welcome

You may like to look at this other thread, if you haven't already seen it:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g196481-i4218-k5…

Also, unless you have dual nationality with an EU country, I think you will need a work permit to get a legal job.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Working in Ios

Hi,

I did two seasons in Ios so maybe I can be of help! If you go to Ios in March, you will be there way before the season starts and you will have trouble finding work. Accommodation is not difficult to find especially if it is a long term rental. You will have to barter with the price though and it will be more expensive if you are looking for a single room.

Bar/restaurant work is the easiest to get but I recommend restaurant work as the hours are much better. If you work in a bar you will not be finishing until after 6am and it would be later in a club. You will start work at 5 in most restaurants and finish at about 12/1. This gives you the day on the beach and you can go out after!

Most restaurants will feed their staff too which is an added bonus.

One of the other replies said you would need a permit... I am not endorsing illegal working but I worked with lots of ozzies and none of them had permits. It is all casual cash in hand work so I think you will be fine unless you want to work in a bank or something!

If you want more info send me a mail and I will see if I can be of help. Ios is a great place to work and you will make lots of friends there. I would really not recommend going there until May as the island will be VERY quiet until then. The season didn't really kick off until the beginning of July last year and it was one of the quietest they ever had. I have worked in both bars and restaurants there and I never had trouble getting a job. Most employers just want someone who will be there until the end of Auguat as August is the busiest month.

Take your email address down though as I think you will get a lot of spam!

Good luck!

AD

Mentioned in this post
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
4. Re: Working in Ios

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, May 13, 2013