We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ios for 6 hours

New York
Level Contributor
126 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Ios for 6 hours

I am staying in Santorini for 7 nights in August for my honeymoon and am thinking of making a day trip to Ios. I would arrive around 12:30 and the ferry back to Santorini is around 18:50.

What would you do for these 6 hours? I realize I won't be able to do much, but just to taste another island for the day would be fun without having to pack/unpack, etc.

I've heard it's a big party island with college kids, but I think by the time I leave, that would not be an issue.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ios for 6 hours

We just spent five days on Ios last month and really enjoyed it; I think with six hours you could actually see quite a bit.

To make the most of your time, you could catch a bus right from the port and head directly to Mylopotas beach to see that (it's the golden sandy beach you can see in my profile pic). Drakos Taverna at the far end of the beach is a great place to stop for a drink or snack; they have tables right next to the water with panoramic views of the beach and the entire valley and bay. When you're finished with the beach visit, take the bus to Chora, where you could spend an hour or two exploring the town. I recommend hiking up to the top of the mountain above Chora to see the amazing views from each of the churches, then work your way back into Chora below the bottom church and head to Moonlight Cafe to cool off with a drink or snack on their terrace; it has some of the best views on Ios.

Then you could either take a bus back down to the port or walk; there is a marked path and the hike down to the port will take around 20 minutes. If you have time, you could visit the big sandy beach a short walk from the ferry terminal, or head in the opposite direction around the marina to see the views from the big white church on the edge of the harbour. Or just relax at a taverna along the waterfront. We killed time waiting for a ferry at the Octopus Tree near the supermarket.

Ios is a big party island in July & August, but the locals told us that in the daytime the kids are all sleeping off their hangovers at the beach rather than hanging out in Chora, so I'm sure you'll enjoy visiting the town.

Edited: 3:02 pm, June 09, 2011
Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
572 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ios for 6 hours

donnyb has pretty much explained exactly what I would recommend. Ios is a great island its nice and quiet in the day and outside the Chora its not really that busy, infact you can find beaches to yourself even in July and August.

With just 6 hours its not worth venturing any further than Mylopotas though

ios greek island...
Destination Expert
for Ios
Level Contributor
823 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ios for 6 hours

as the lads said above .... i would enjoy the beautiful white beaches and coves that you will find in ios and not in santorini come and have a beach day i say ! oioigeeza

New York
Level Contributor
126 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ios for 6 hours

Thank you all. I will probably take a cab to Chora and walk around town, and then maybe hit up a beach before heading back!

5. Re: Ios for 6 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, October 03, 2012