We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens to Ios

Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Athens to Ios

Hi there,

I'm arriving into Athens airpot at 10.55am on Saturday 10th July. I need to get to Ios on that same day. Can this be done?? I can't find any ferries to get me there.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens to Ios

Hey and welcome Cat070:-) Try checking out ferries to other isles close to Ios..like Santorini, Naxos..or even Paros..then check for connections from there! You can even check for flights out to Santorini to hook up w/your arrival and see if there are any late afternoon/evening departures from there to Ios! May take a bit of looking around and more costly w/a flight..but if you HAVE to be there same day, may be only way around..unless you can overnight and head out on the morning ferry direct to Ios! Happy planning..and ENjoY!

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens to Ios

Ferries usually leave around 7:30 AM, I doubt you'll find a late ferry on a Saturday. However, you could check to see if there's a late ferry from one of the islands that have airports (i.e. Santorini, Naxos, Paros). It might be possible to get a flight to Santorini and then the (highspeed) ferry from Santorini to Ios. It's an expensive way of travelling, but if you *must* go to Ios that day, and you can't fly in on an earlier flight, it might be your only option.

Use this map to find who's flying where and at what time. Click on the destination for the complete schedule, then go to the respective airline's website to book: www.aia.gr/flight_schedule/domestic_en.htm

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens to Ios

Thanks so much for this info - very helpful. I have found a flight to Santorini and could then get a connecting ferry to Ios all on the same day. The flight leaves at 12noon and my other flght arrives into Athens at 10.55. Do you think this is doable???

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens to Ios

Hey again Cat070:-) Well, it's a bit tight IMO..considering arrival time is actually when the tires hit the tarmac..does not include taxiing to gate, luggage retrieval, etc..Any small delay and it would certainly be a miss considering the cut-off time required for your isle flight! Would see if there is another later flight you can hook up with..better safe than sorry..otherwise, you'll still not get there till the next day anyway w/a miss;-) Keep us posted..keep enjoyin'!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens to Ios

I think it's quite tight. You will have to rely on online checkin, your flight arriving bang on time and your luggage being first out in order to make the connecting flight.

You could check the reliability of your airline on this route - a few days ago someone posted a link for a website that allows you to do just that. If it's anything less than 90%, then you may like to rethink your plans or book a later flight if one is available.

Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens to Ios

Yeah I also think it's too tight and too big a risk. This might work better..

Flight from Athens at 14.25. arriving in Santorini at 15.15 and a ferry to Ios at 16.20. Doable??

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens to Ios

Well..that too gives you barely an hour if the flight is on time;-) Bottom line, you'd have to grab a cab and head directly to the port..you just may make it..but bottom line, you're practically there once you get to Santorini! Enjoyin'!

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
8. Re: Athens to Ios

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:44 am, December 29, 2010