We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk or Bus from Port to Hora?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
102 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Walk or Bus from Port to Hora?

I will be at GALINI pension for 3 nites....I am 59yo...like to walk, but here it is steep to Hora...TRUE?

How often does the bus go from port to Hora?...only when a boat comes in or a reg. schedule?

Maybe even rent a car for one day, to head out to the quiet places...any recommendations?

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk or Bus from Port to Hora?

The path to Chora is very steep - not recommended with luggage. The buses run at least every half hour for most of the day.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
102 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk or Bus from Port to Hora?

No luggage, saying down below.....

I'll give it a try once, see how it goes...

I can always take the bus UP.....and walk DOWN!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk or Bus from Port to Hora?

Ios KTEL Buses:

Port - Chora - Mylopotas beach far end(Far Out), roughly every 20-30 mins to roughly 24:00.

Port - Koumbara beach, hourly, passes road to Galini pension.

Manganari bus 2 times a day ?10:00, 11:00 return ?16:00, 17:00, ask in Acteon travel for tickets.

Buses as usual are seasonal, timetable is on the port stop.

You can walk up the stepped path to Chora, it's steep but not too far, about 800 m/yds from port, 1,200 m/yds from the Galini.

Edited: 4:23 pm, May 16, 2010
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
102 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk or Bus from Port to Hora?

Got it...

Do busses from HORA, have a regular cycle....maybe a bus that circles the island ever hour or so?....Or, is it much less frequently.....

And...any water taxi's that are helpful?

Thinking of renting a car for one day too.....to have the freedom of going ALL around at my own pace....

THANKS so much Mr "Hippy"

Peter in Los Angeles

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walk or Bus from Port to Hora?

As far as I know those are the only buses, and those are basically the tarmac roads, a lot of others are dirt roads. There is no road around the island, it goes roughly down the centre with branches off to the east coast/west coast beaches. There are no other villages.

Have a look at Google Earth/Maps, it's a bit out of date but gives you the rough idea.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
102 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walk or Bus from Port to Hora?

Yes...

I see that there are names of Beaches, but the beaches aren't cities..... Are there little places to eat on the beaches, or is it a "pack some food" kinda situation

midlands
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Walk or Bus from Port to Hora?

I've just spent a few days in Ios and used the bus service quite often. Even now in the early season there is a bus every half an hour between the port and the chora and this continues on to Mylopotas beach. Later on in the season there will be a bus service to Manganari beach and I think there will also be boat trips there from the harbour. I haven't been to Ios for a few years and I did notice that the roads around the island have improved a lot. I hired a car for the day while I was there and visited other beaches around the island. Ag Theodoti is a mainly sand beach but no facilities directly on the beach. There is a cafe about 5 min walk inland but not yet open when I visited. Psathi beach is sandy and also has a nice remote feel. There is a lovely taverna in the village on the way down to the beach with fantastic views over the beach. Manganari has 4 fabulous beaches, one of them has a good taverna/cafe already open and I think there is another one which opens later in the year. If you hire a moped you will be able to access other beaches on roads which are not quite suitable for taking hire cars along. Hope you enjoy!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walk or Bus from Port to Hora?

It's not something you can detail, beach tavernas open seasonally, some close down completely one season then re-appear the next, this applies even to ones close to the port like Coumbara and Valmas beaches, so always take plenty of fluids with you.

Last year there were 3 tavernas open on Manganari beach in mid-June. So that's pretty certain at least one will be open.

9. Re: Walk or Bus from Port to Hora?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 19, 2010