We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Twilight

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
81 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Twilight

How has the craze over this movie impacted Volterra?

I personally despise the movie and after careful selection of Volterra as our Tuscany base for September am having second thoughts.

It should be noted that my wife is enamored with this teenage schoolgirl vampire fantasy tripe, so this would be a plus for her.

I know they didn't film there, but is this picking up tourism, or am I safe because I'll get there a couple of months before the release of the movie?

thanks in advance

virginia
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Twilight

We were there a week ago and it is a small town. However, there is some heavy promotion of Twilight, at least in the Piazza de Priori at the tourist information center. My teen was delighted to find that they had a "Twilight" map so you could follow the action. Other than some posters, though, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of stuff there (one tacky store had merchandise, but most of the town seemed unaffected). That was just our take on spending a few hours in the town, which was lovely.

York
Level Contributor
44 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Twilight

I'd completely forgotten about the link, until you mentioned it, so thanks for that. I too am I huge fan, so Volterra will now be on my list to visit.

Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
539 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Twilight

GWVan

We were there for a week earlier this month and with the exception of the afore mentioned promotion in the Piazza de Priori we noticed no particular increase in teenage girls or excitement about the book/movie than during our other visits to Volterra.

We did hear from some local Italian friends that many of the Volterra businesses are very disappointed that the filming was moved to Montepulciano. They had been counting on a huge upsurge in traffic from Twilight publicity before the change in filming location. You might be right, however, perhaps that upsurge will come after the film's release?

In general tourism seemed to be way down throughout Tuscany this year compared to our past visits. Heavy traffic centers like Firenze still felt busy - but many of the hill towns (including Volterra) were much less crowded with much less competiton for things like parking spaces or getting good tables in restaurants. Although nice for us it makes us worry even more about the impact of this poor global economy.

September in Tuscany (and Volterra) should be wonderful!

4. Re: Twilight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 18, 2010