We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volterra to San Gimignano

Which Volterra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
4 posts
Save Topic
Volterra to San Gimignano

OR San Gimignano to Volterra...

My friend and I are trying to do a day trip from Florence to Volterra (1/2 day), Volterra to San Gimignano (1/2 day) and then back to where we will be staying in Florence.

I have done some intensive research looking for bus/train schedules and so far I've only found a (SITA roundtrips) bus schedule from Florence to Volterra (with a transfer at a place called Colle V.E. ??). I have found absolutely nothing connecting Volterra and San Gimignano...

HELP?!?!?

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volterra to San Gimignano

Volterra is quite a way from any railway line. If you want to do such a high speed tour as Volterra and San Gimignano all in one day then perhaps best to hire your own car

new york
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Volterra to San Gimignano

Oh ... didnt even think of hiring a car. didnt know that was a possibility. do you by any chance know of any respectable agency? thanks for your help! :-)

Volterra, Italy
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volterra to San Gimignano

I would take the train from Florence to Pisa airport and pick up a rental car there, so much easier. From Pisa airport Volterra is approx, a 1 hr 5min drive and from Volterra to San Gimignano 30 mins. If you want exact directions from Pisa to Volterra, I can forward them to you.

Bye.

new york
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Volterra to San Gimignano

sure... sflecha@condonlaw.com

THANKS!!!

its just crazy to me that volterra and s. gimignano are sooo close yet almost impossible to get to using public transportation.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,988 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volterra to San Gimignano

>>its just crazy to me that volterra and s. gimignano are sooo close yet almost impossible to get to using public transportation.<<

They are on different transport corridors, and historically have had nothing in common. The people of Volterra have no need to visit San Gimignano, and vice versa. Therefore there is no demand for public transport.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
111 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volterra to San Gimignano

rentin a car is a safe, comfortable solution to visit the real tuscany instead beeing closed inside a town. The best thing you ca do in Tuscany is enjoying the countryside around san gimignano and volterra and the villages and corner of paradise hidden arounds.

new york
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Volterra to San Gimignano

any arrangements need to be made for a USA driver to acquire rights to drive in italy?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Volterra to San Gimignano

Actually, there are buses from Volterra to Poggibonsi and Colle Val D'Elsa, and from either of those to San Gimignano so I don't think it would be terribly difficult to do it all in one day by public transportation. From Poggibonsi, I know you can also get buses back to Florence. I would go first to Volterra and make an early start, because the buses from Volterra to Colle Val D'Elsa don't run very often, and there are none in the late afternoon.

Here is the schedule from Volterra to Colle Val D'Elsa:

www.cpt.pisa.it/orari/extra/linea770.htm

This is a winter schedule, and there may be more buses in the summer. None of the buses on this line run on Sundays or holidays. I can't find the schedules from Volterra to Poggibonsi, but the official Volterra web site says there is such a service. However, Colle Val D'Elsa would be a faster connection anyway.

Once you get to San Gimignano, service back to Florence (changing buses in Poggibonsi) is a bit more frequent. The tourist office in Florence should be able to help you with the parts from Florence to and from Volterra and San Gimignano.

You need an International Drivers Permit to drive in Italy. It's just a translation of your national license into several languages in a standard format, and you need to carry your regular license with you. You can get the permit at any AAA office. If you bring your own passport-type photos, it costs very little, otherwise they'll take the photos and charge extra for that. Ask them to give you a brochure explaining the international traffic signs used in Italy and read it over well before driving in Italy.

Texas
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Volterra to San Gimignano

I have just visited this area and I hired a car and managed to see many places which I would have never seen if I went by public transport.

Northern VA
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Volterra to San Gimignano

We're also thinking about doing Volterra and San G in one day from Florence. You definitely want to do Volterra first because of fewer transport connections.

Before June there is an 8:40 bus that leaves from the train station, reaches V at 10:30 or so. You change bus in Colle VE company CPT. This give you about 2.5 hours to see V.

Then there is a 1:15 bus from V to San G reaching via Colle V D'Elsa at 2:40 PM. Weekdays only.

From San G there are plenty of buses back to Florence last bus probably at 8:30 arriving Florence via Poggibonsi reaches at 10:05 PM. I'd probably confirm at the bus station if you want to stay till the last bus.

The tourist office in V is very helpful and gave me all of this information. www.volterratur.it tel (39) 058886099.

Car rentals for automatics are running $ 200+ per day from Pisa.

Viator has couple of 1/2 to full day trips in buses, and vans that mostly cover Sienna and San G and not Volterra. They have added a new one 12 hours that also covers Pisa.

Hope that helps.