We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Alone from Cagliari Airport to Villasimius - Easy?

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Alone from Cagliari Airport to Villasimius - Easy?

Hi,

I'm thinking about spending 1 week in Villasimius at the end of September. To be able to travel to the various beaches around Villasimius etc. , renting a car seems absolutely essential and I have found a great rental option from Cagliari Airport where I would arrive.

However, the thing that makes me slightly nervous and lets me hesitate is the drive from the Airport to Villiasimius and back. I'd be travelling alone, so I wouldn't have the benefit of a passenger who could read the map for me and reading it myself while driving might be a recipe for disaster. Also, I've heard that GPS/navigation systems don't always work from right outside the airport.

So my question is, does anyone have any experience with the route from Cagliari Airport to Villasimius and how easy do you think it would be for a solo driver? Have you used GPS/navi? Or Is it a straightforward route and would the street signs alone suffice for me to find my way?

Any comments or suggestions would be extremely welcome as the flights are getting more expensive and I really have to make my decsion.

Thanks so much!!

south wales
Level Contributor
166 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Alone from Cagliari Airport to Villasimius - Easy?

Hi there

I have driven a few times on my own from Cagliari airport to areas past Villasimius...all sat navs will take you via the mountain road which believe me are not for the faint hearted. Thankfully Villasimius is well signposted as it is one of the main resorts in the South so follow these directions straight out of the airport traffic is busy but that is a good thing as it slows you down giving you time to think and plan.

1.As you exit the airport take 3 right turns following the signs for Cagliari Quartu Sant Elena and Pirri signs will then change to Quartu/Villasimius

2. You will come to a set of Traffic lights travelling under a new suspension bridge

3. You will go through a further 3 sets of traffic lights making 4 in total.

Due to unfinished roadworks I would advise you to then follow the signs for Villasimius which at this point will be straight on you will come to a mini roundabout take a left and you will just follow the road, the coast will be on your right hand side and whilst you may think it is never ending as long as you follow the signs you cant go far wrong, you will at some point come onto a coast road which is very twisty and can be narrow in someplaces and steep but again just take your time and ignore any impatient drivers.

A car is a bonus as you can get to so many places and recommended beaches for you would be Costa Rei, Punta Mollentis Cala Pira and Santa Giusta.

Villasimius itself has many lovely beaches shops bars restaurants and a lovely marina

Cheers Salv

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Alone from Cagliari Airport to Villasimius - Easy?

Another option might be to take the ARST bus from Cagliari bus depot to Villasimius, and rent a car locally.

You must study the bus schedules carefully, as bus service reduces after September 15. There is a daily bus at 14:05, and Monday through Saturday buses at 18:30 and 20:10.

The bus takes 90 minutes and costs 4.50 Euros one-way. There is also a frequent airport bus from the airport to the Cagliari bus depot, which takes 15 minutes and costs 4 Euros. Thus, you can get to Villasimius for 8.50 Euros, with a simple connection at the Cagliari bus depot.

www.arst.sardegna.it

http://www.arstspa.info/101.pdf

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Alone from Cagliari Airport to Villasimius - Easy?

Thank you to both of you, all of this has been extremely helpful!!

4. Re: Driving Alone from Cagliari Airport to Villasimius - Easy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 21, 2013