We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Palazzo Torre Barbara, Seiano, Vico Equense

Which Vico Equense hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
Palazzo Torre Barbara, Seiano, Vico Equense

We just stayed and stayed at the Palazzo Torre Barbara in Seiano, Vico Equense. We booked the room for one night, but couldn’t leave. The place is perfetto! I think we had the best room in the palazzo. It’s room 402. Write that down. Whoever designed this remodeled 19th century palazzo knew what they were doing. The rooms are 21st century all the way, while retaining the simple Italian elegance that at least I wish I lived with every single day.

And they have Internet – not the unreliable wireless that we found elsewhere and costs you 15 Euro a day, but in-house DSL that is fast and works and is included in the price.

If you want to sit on a terrazzo overlooking the Bay of Naples and Vesuvio at sunset with a glass of Prosecco in hand while emailing your adventures home, this is the place for you.

Later, after traveling for almost two weeks in beautiful paese throughout the Mezzogiorno, we needed a fix of modern comforts. So we called and told them we were coming back. They welcomed us with baci e abbracci.

23 April 2006

PORTSMOUTH
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Palazzo Torre Barbara, Seiano, Vico Equense

Hi

We have booked for the Palazzo Torre Barbara...we would like to email them direct...do you have an email address?

Thanks!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Palazzo Torre Barbara, Seiano, Vico Equense

In response to a request for the Email address at Palazzo Torre Barbara, it is: info@torrebarbara.it.

Their website address is www.torrebarbara.it.

PORTSMOUTH
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Palazzo Torre Barbara, Seiano, Vico Equense

Thanks very much for the quick reply...any tips you can give on the area much appreciated.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Palazzo Torre Barbara, Seiano, Vico Equense

If you do not have a car, you should consider getting off the circumsuviana in Vico Equense, the stop before Seiano. It will be easier to get a taxi to the Palazzo Torre Barbara from there.

With a car you can explore the hills above the hotel and beyond the town of Vico Equense. There is tourist office in Piazza Umberto in downtown Vico. The folks are very helpful and provide beautiful informative maps and guides in many languages.

Go to La Tradizione, a nearby alimentari. Ask them to prepare a picnic. Take it to the top of the hills -- Moiano, I think -- and look down on Positano. Buy Carla Compalba's book about Campania and go everywhere she suggests.

Order a pizza and hang out at the take-out area at either L'universita di Pizza or the smaller places in Vico some night (weekend nights are the busiest) to watch the pizzaioli orchestrating their helpers. What a show!

Stop for a cheeseburger at the wagon usually parked at the top of the hill on the road to Sorrento. Order it with melanzane & pepperoni (peppers), and provola and patate frite like the kids do. Down it with a beer while enjoying the view of Napoli across the bay. Che buono! Che bella!

Take the walk up the hill behind the hotel at sunset.

Explore Ercolano and Pompeii. Take the ferry from Sorrento to the islands. Try Procida, it is less travelled.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Birmingham, United...
10 posts
5. Re: Palazzo Torre Barbara, Seiano, Vico Equense

We are honeymooning in Vico for a week in August aiming to relax a little after two weeks in Venice, Florence and Rome. Can you please recommend good restaurants in the area?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: Palazzo Torre Barbara, Seiano, Vico Equense

Can I recommend a restaurant!?

There are several very good restaurants nearby, but down by the Seiano docks you will find the most extraordinary restaurant of all -- La Torre del Saracino. Gambero Rosso lists it among its top -- Three Forchette -- restaurants. It is an unassuming place on the outside, but big league inside the door. We came upon it by luck. We asked the heavy guy outside the restaurant , who was talking on his cell phone and smoking a cigarette, when it would be open that night. Gennaro Esposito responded that it opened at 8:30 and we said we'd come back. And we did. And we have talked about it ever since. Vittoria Aiello is the pastry chef who spins sugar into golden fishnets. We have since found them among the highest ranked restaurants in Europe in guide after guide. Gennaro is mentioned in the Gourmet Magazine restaurant issue article about tasting pizza in Brooklyn. The other chefs turned up their noses, but Gennaro reminds everyone that pizza is street food and you should have fun with it. I'm with him. Try Torre del Saracino. You won't be sorry.

Right next door is Vittoria's family's pizzeria trattoria. It is more casual and offers local cuisine. It is excellent as well.

When I was at the Palazzo Torre Barbara in early December, I was traveling alone and didn't have a car. Antonio called his friend at O'Pagliaro, a trattoria pizzeria down the road. He picked me up and took me to the restaurant. They made me the most fabulous ravioli di pesce imaginable. It is not fancy, but molto buono. They made me feel welcome and comfortable. That goes a long way with me.

For more options in the area check out Carla Capalbo's book, The Good and Wine Guide to Naples and Campania. I have loved every one of her recommendations.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Palazzo Torre Barbara, Seiano, Vico Equense

There's a huge difference between travelling in August vs. April and December so in August one might consider factors such traffic, crowds, stress, and the heat when interacting with the local merchants who may or may not be like they were in Winter or Spring. Hopefully, things will work out to your favor...

Also, it would be Santa Maria Del Castello where you can look down on Positano. Although the hike from Moiano to Santa Maria Del Castello would be great, for some there's an infrequent city bus (ticket must be purchased at a tobacconist beforehand) running from the Vico Equense Circumvesuviana Station/Santa Sofia over to either Moiano or Santa Maria Del Castello.

Indeed Vico Equense is known for its pizza especially pizza al metro where your pizza is cut to the length of your liking.

Buon Viaggio...

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
8. Re: Palazzo Torre Barbara, Seiano, Vico Equense

kkushiba1 is right on all counts.

The off season is very different than August, when traffic will be a major issue and December's nearly empty restaurants are jammed.

The Sorrento Peninsula is bella. Italians know it too.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Palazzo Torre Barbara, Seiano, Vico Equense

Dear ZiaZio,

What I'm hoping is that those owners of the restaurants you mentioned can be just as nice to their customers in August as they were with you in the off-season. If the owners can pull that off, they might win customers who'll return time and again and can spread the word.

About the pizza, maybe it's the experience (Napoletani) coupled with the air in that part of the Golfo di Napoli between Sorrento and Castellammare di Stabia that makes the dough reknown throughout the region? It's known that pasta made in nearby Gragnano and Torre Annunziata is rather porous so it acts as a sponge to soak in the tomato sauce to make an incredible primo piatto/first course pasta plate. I'm sure there's some sort of scientific explanation for all this Golfo di Napoli "magic" (air in regard to sea level and angle of the sun's rays??) Who knows?

Yeah, the traffic in the area is pretty nutty especially in mid-August and someone said that he was so stuck in traffic after taking the Castellammare di Stabia turnoff from the A3 autostrada that he tried to turn back onto the freeway only to be completely stuck again for hours. Maybe people can consider taking the Sorrento-bound Circumvesuviana from Napoli Piazza Garibaldi to Vico Equense or Seiano:

www.vesuviana.it/rete_ferstazinvpdf.htm

vesuviana.it/Nebula/…DesktopDefault.aspx

Buon Viaggio...

Swimmer in New York
1 post
10. Re: Palazzo Torre Barbara, Seiano, Vico Equense

Dear ZiaZio,

We have made reservations for the Palazzo Torre Barbara for this summer and would like to email the hotel. Unfortunately, we cannot find an email address for this place. Might you have one or know where we could get it without making an international phone call?

Many thanks.

Eric P.

Get answers to your questions about Vico Equense
More Vico Equense Topics