We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand hotel royal

redcar
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
grand hotel royal

just booked holiday at grand hotel,has any one stayed lately can you let me know whats it like.good/bad things,prices,what to do any tips about visits to pisa/flore/lucca etc .would be very gratefull of any info

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: grand hotel royal

I haven't stayed at the Grand, so can't help you with that. However, Viareggio is a great base to visit Pisa and Florence (by train) and Lucca (by bus). Both trains and bus are at regular intervals and good value too. May I also recommend a bus trip to Pietrasanta - it's a little north and inland and well worth a visit.

redcar
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: grand hotel royal

many thank for info

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
109 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: grand hotel royal

We have just returned from the Grand Hotel Viareggio yesterday and it was fantastic. In our view, better than expected. We booked as a package through a tour operator and were expecting the usual 'holiday brochure' hotel. This was not the case. Apart from our arrival day, all the evening meals were waiter served. You make your evening meal selection from the menu at breakfast time and give this to the waiter. We thought this was a great idea as you knew what you would get without the usual 'bun fight' of everyone grabbing the best food as soon as the restaurant opened. All meals are 3 course with the addition of various salad appetisers. The dining room is beautiful, as is the rest of the hotel. We took the bus to Lucca and it was well worth it. A train to Pisa - if you only want to see the Leaning Tower etc. get off at Pisa San Rossare station. We went on an organised trip to Florence. Glad we went by coach as it was so busy. If you want to see the main museums, galleries etc. you need to book in advance. Try searching the internet for this. As for things to do in the evenings, most people walk up and down the promenade. Many shops are open until about 10.00pm. Lots of cafes to stop at too. Much cheaper for your drinks if you stand at the coffee bar. If you sit down there is about a 3 euro service charge on the price of your coffee/snack etc. I don't think you will be disappointed with this hotel and it's location. In our view very good with lots of extras. Enjoy yourselves.

redcar
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: grand hotel royal

many thanks for the info,you have put my mind at rest,cant wait to go

redcar
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: grand hotel royal

many thanks for your previous info ,do they supply pool/beach towels at the hotel

Harpenden, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
112 reviews
6. Re: grand hotel royal

we only just returned as well

saturday is the buffet night rest as previously said you order in the morning at breakfast for the evening - although when given menu in morning it does say not obligatory to order

we spoke to reception and on oneday caught train to pisa then back on train to lucca then back to viarregio. Reception brilliant in detailing which trains to catch at what time. Thought only area round leaning tower worth seeing in pisa so don't worry in my opinion in seeing rest.If you want to book ticketsfor leaning tower in advance you can do so I believe up to 15 days before on line otherwise you needto hope not too busywhen you arrive as you need to book a slot. if travelling in summer holiday might be worth booking.

we hired cycles from hotel and cycled along front towards harbourthen through woodsto other beach. Beautiful ride and other restaurants when you get there.

Think you can easily get train to florence too

Station literally right by airport so can from there catch a train to Pisa central then change to viarregio and 20 min walk to hotel

Food delicious and service outstanding. If no sunny spots by pool then brill that you can just go to beach

enjoy!!!

Harpenden, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
112 reviews
7. Re: grand hotel royal

pool towels yes but ask you to take your own to beach

kettle in room

mini bar in rool too with beers costing 5 euros same as at bar

supermarket on other side of pine wood behind hotel where much cheaper

hotel keeps any unfinished wine and water for next evenings meal

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4,476 posts
156 reviews
8. Re: grand hotel royal

Harpies, what is unfinshed wine? Dont think I have ever had that.

Stayed here 4 years ago as the Azure was celebrating winning the World Cup. Great hotel, good food and one of the few in Viareggio to have its own pool. Only down side when we were there was that some of the rooms were a bit hit and miss. Comfortable but sparse.

9. Re: grand hotel royal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 12, 2010