We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Viareggio and Grand Hotel Royal please.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
108 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Viareggio and Grand Hotel Royal please.

Hi, we have booked at the Grand Hotel Royal in Viareggio for 1st week June next year. First time in Italy for us all. Been through all the helpful hotel and Italy reviews and hopefully we have made the right choice. Too late now though as it is booked. (got a v. good price for booking early) As we are a family of two adults and one 12 year old to please, hopefully a pool, beach and the opportunity to see the sights of Pisa, San Gimignano etc. should keep us happy. Has anyone stayed in the front sea view rooms (without balcony) at this hotel, what are they like for size etc.? Does anyone have any other suggestions of things we must do whilst in the area ? Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Hotel Royal
Grand Hotel Royal
1,722 Reviews
Sorrento, Italy
Viareggio
Viareggio
Province of Lucca, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Firenze
Level Contributor
557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Viareggio and Grand Hotel Royal please.

I don't know the hotel in particular but I was surprised to learn this summer that there is a lot more in the Versilia/Viareggio area than just the beach (and Pisa). If you look at "territory" on the official website www.aptversilia.it, the first thing that comes up is a roman ruin at Massacciucoli from which there is a stunning view to the sea. There are also lots of hiking trails and stuff in the area, which might be good with a pre-teenager to break up art with nature.

Mentioned in this post
Viareggio
Viareggio
Province of Lucca, Italy
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Viareggio and Grand Hotel Royal please.

We were in the area last year - Viareggio has great transport links to other places, such as Pisa, Florence and Lucca. We also enjoyed visiting Pietrasanta, a small hillside town a little bit north, easily reached by bus. Forte dei Marmi, which is north of Viareggio is another seaside town, with designer shops which you also might like.

Mentioned in this post
Viareggio
Viareggio
Province of Lucca, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Pietrasanta
Pietrasanta
Province of Lucca, Italy
Forte Dei Marmi
Forte Dei Marmi
Province of Lucca, Italy
Poole
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Viareggio and Grand Hotel Royal please.

Hi

You really must have a balcony as you will feel you have missed out if you don't - it's great to sit out from first light to late in the evening. Viareggio is a wonderful resort and we have just returned from our fourth visit in ten years to the Royal - we love it! I shall be posting my hotel review over the next day or so but if you want any specific advice drop me a line.

Mentioned in this post
Viareggio
Viareggio
Province of Lucca, Italy
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Viareggio and Grand Hotel Royal please.

Should enjoy the hotel. We stayed a few years ago and although the room furnishings were poor and showeroom small in the main we enjoyed our stay. I may be wrong but I dont remember there being front facing rooms without a balcony. There are some side rooms from which you will see the sea. The room we had was large so plenty of room for 3. Other than the beach there is plenty to do.Pisa, Florence, Luca. Opera? There is a lakeside opera nearby where they have a summers festival of Puccini operas.San Gimignano is not that easy to get too, hour on train to Florence and a further hour by bus and Sienna is a similar distance away.It is a great base for Tuscany and gives you the best of both worlds. Good base for sight seeing and good for the beach. Excellent train connections also.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Viareggio and Grand Hotel Royal please.

Forgot to mention Cinque Terre which is aWorld Heritage Site.

Mentioned in this post
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
108 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Viareggio and Grand Hotel Royal please.

Many thanks to everyone for their helpful information. Can't wait to go now - next year seems ages away! YorkshireFlee.

7. Re: Advice on Viareggio and Grand Hotel Royal please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 14, 2010