We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waldensian Church

richmond
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Waldensian Church

I will be visiting Torre Pellice the first week in June and want to visit the historical sites for the Waldensian church. My mother was born in Praly and is a Waldensian. Is there any written guide to these sites that can be secured, if not, will it be difficult to find, as we speak very little Italian.

Any pointers would be welcome!

First time Italy visitor!

9 replies to this topic
Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waldensian Church

Gocheto, we had guests from South Africa stay with us last year who were also retracing their Waldensian roots, their family left for France around 1000 years ago!

They found not only the church in Torre Pellice, but there is a small museum there with a curator or a guide who speaks English and is most helpful to visitors seeking a connection to the past.

Museo Storico Valdese Via Beckwith, 3. Tel: 0121 932179

Open Thursday, Saturday, Sunday - 15.00 / 18.00

July and august everyday - 16.00 / 19.00

Closed December and January.

Guide "Il Barba" Monday and Friday - 9:00-12:30

There is also an Waldensian Archive ( www.studivaldesi.org : segreteria@studivaldesi.org ) in Italian - use google or yahoo translator.

richmond
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waldensian Church

Thank you so much. We are so looking forward to this trip.

Any suggestions as what to wear. I was told not to wear capri pants???

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
950 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waldensian Church

I'm interested in the answer to this too. Does the Chiesa Evangelica Valdesi have a modesty requirement, like going into St. Peter's in Rome? I am also interested because we're considering staying in a monastery guest house/hostel run by the Waldensian Church.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waldensian Church

Hi, I will be in Torre Pellice this May. I was wondering if you had any material / tips / advice from your trip that you could share? I've been there before but I'm sure there was a lot I missed, since I don't speak Italian. Thanks!

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Waldensian Church

Hi MaraJennifer,

we are happy to inform you that you can receive information about Waldensian church contacting the Office Barba - il.barba@fondazionevaldese.org - tel. 0121/950203 - www.fondazionevaldese.org - they can provide for you information in english, french or german about the "Valli Valdesi".

It exist also an historical Archive www.studivaldesi.org/archivio/archi.php where you can consult registers about families, names, churches, museums, schools and history about the Valli Valdesi. The responsible is Gabriella Ballesio and she speaks english and french.

We inform you and AprilTwoCats, that it is not necessary a particular clothing or attitude inside the Valdese Church.

Near the Church Valdese and the Cultural Center Valdese you will find the "Guestrooms Valdese", it is a religious guest house where you can stay at a low price.

We hope you will enjoy your next trip!

Orem, Utah
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Waldensian Church

Hello,

I will be visiting Torre Pellice in August and am hoping to stay in the "Guestrooms Valdese" that TurismoTorino mentioned. I am having a hard time contacting them to make reservations. Do you have any way I can contact the guest house?

Thank you!

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waldensian Church

Hi, do you mean the Foresteria Valdese? What methods have you tried already for getting in touch? According to their website, their # is +39 0121 91801 and their email address is foresteriatorre@diaconiavaldese.org. Or, you could fill out the booking request here: foresteriatorre.org/linea5/prenotazioni.php

Have a fantastic trip!

Edited: 1:59 pm, July 09, 2014
Healdsburg, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waldensian Church

My great grandfather was a minister in Torre Pellice before coming to Missouri to establish a Waldension church in Monet, Mo in the late 1890's. When my mother and I travelled to Torre Pellice we were warmly welcomed to the church and museum. Hike up to the cemetary and enjoy the view. Wear good walking shoes! French is your best back up language, but some English speakers are there.

Pataskala, Ohio...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Waldensian Church

Click on the following link to access comprehensive information and have interaction with other descendants of a noble and fascinating movement of people of faith:

Waldensian Vaudois Valdese https://www.facebook.com/A.Modern.Barbi…

Reply to: Waldensian Church
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Torre Pellice