We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire without credit card

northampton
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire without credit card

I'd like to share my experiences regarding car hire in Italy, I have no credit card and found it impossible to find a rental agency willing to hire a vehicle with a cash deposit. In the end I finished up doing a local search in the Todi area where I was staying after some heartache and anger I found a gentlemen who was willing to rent me a car without a credit card deposit. For anyone in a similar position watnig to hire a car in Umbria I can confidently recommend www.agostiniautonoleggio.com the proprietor Stefano was a pleasure to deal with and very helpful. Unfortunately I was forced to cancel my trip at the last minute but if I'm ever in Todi again and need a rental car there's only one place i'll being going. well done Stefano

NY
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire without credit card

Fairly unusual - do you mind telling us how much cash deposit was required?

northampton
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire without credit card

He asked for a 450 euro deposit fully refundable assuming that the vehicle was in the same condition as collected.

NY
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire without credit card

Thanks. Actually that is not too bad a deposit, and I looked on the website that seems to say insurance is included in the rates. Of course neither I nor you have actually used this company, but maybe someone in the future will like this information so thanks for posting.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
20 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire without credit card

I have a home in the Todi area and personally know Stefano. He is a wonderful man that owns and operates a terrific business. Besides rental cars he offers services to visitors in the area including transportation and guided tours. I recommend him without hesitation.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,288 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire without credit card

It is almost impossible to get a car hire anywhere without a CC these days, even a debit card will not work.

They are trying to insure against your totalling the car. Even hotels have these hidden insurances, such as taking a CC "impression" which really means being able to charge your card if necessary, for mini bar, damage, skipping on the accommodation etc.

The trouble is that a Debit Card or no card gives them no insurance against damage. Some people have found that a debit card has been stopped for maybe €500 and that has wiped out their ability to use their debit card to get cash.

Be very sure of these conditions before you travel.

We always travel with a CC and a debit card each on separate accounts.

Todi, Italy
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire without credit card

I'm Stefano of the business indicated in this thread.

I would like to state clearly that a credit card is compulsory to rent/hire a car from my agency. What this gentleman is surpringsly advertising can be officially considered a mistake that it won't happen again.

Again, no other method of payment than credit card will be accepted.

Also, no guided tours are provided.

Hoping to avoid useless waste of time, I wish happy travelling with TA to all the readers

Harare
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire without credit card

I live in Zimbabwe and have just returned from a fantastic family holiday in Italy.

Stefano from http://www.agostiniautonoleggio.com/ met us in Rome and transfered our family to our villa near Todi.

Stefano could not have been more helpful, he gave us tips on day trips, shopping, where to eat and so much more. Its a great family run small car hire company.

Simon Fox

Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire without credit card

Sounds like Stefano is a no nonsense kind of guy, gave me a chuckle :)

Edited: 4:36 am, September 07, 2012
Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire without credit card

Sounds like Stefano is a no nonsense kind of guy, gave me a chuckle :)

Edited: 4:37 am, September 07, 2012
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire without credit card

Hi Stefano

We have rented a house in Monte Castello di Vibio from 29 September and would like to hire a car. We've been unable to access your website so could you possibly email us giving some idea of costs etc and possibility of a pick up in Perugia?

Many thanks

Lyn Williams

Get answers to your questions about Todi