We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Rome to Sulmona

South Carolina
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel from Rome to Sulmona

Help! Can someone tell me what the best way to get from the airport in Rome (FCO) to Sulmona is? I don't want to rent a car - scared to drive - and someone mentioned on another post that a bus is the way to go but i had been thinking I should try to take a train. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Sulmona
Sulmona
Province of L'Aquila, Italy
Murrieta, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Rome to Sulmona

Go to the internet and type in Termini Train Station Rome, Italy. I have been told you can take a train from this station to Sulmona.

There is an article called "Train ride to Sulmona and Castel di Sangro.The author is John Fort, A very interesting article.

I hope this helps. I too hope to go to Sulmona someday, my father was born there in 1886

Rosemary

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Sulmona
Sulmona
Vancouver...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Rome to Sulmona

My wife and I traveled by train from Rome to Sulmona. The trip is quite pretty and not particularly crowded, and that was July! We also landed at FCO and then took the DaVinci Express into Roma termini. It is there at the termini Station that you would catch the train to Sulmona. There are not a lot of trains on that route, but we took one at 8:00 AM and were in Sulmoa in time for lunch. Hope you enjoy Sulmona!

PS: Try the Bean Soup at Il Archi in Sulmona,Fantastico!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Sulmona
Sulmona
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
melbourne australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Rome to Sulmona

Take the train on the Fara Sabina line at the airport to Tiburtina station. There is another train to Roma Termini....do not take that train as you will have to get back to Tiburtina even for most of the train departures. It is about 40 minutes to Roma Tiburtina station and about 7 stops.

Cross the street outside station under the overhead road and you will be at the bus depot.

Go to Biglieterra C and buy ticket (about 12 euro) to Sulmona before you get on the bus. Bus leaves more often than the train and when you get to Sulmona by the train often there is no local bus to catch to the city itself. It is an uphill walk of over 1 km but there may be a taxi there. Bus is faster and lands you right in the city. Train takes longer and with suitcases not convenient going up and down the platform steps.

Bus Timetable is on another forum discussion previously posted if you need it

Mentioned in this post
Sulmona
Sulmona
Atlanta, GA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Rome to Sulmona

Millie,

My son and I just visited Sulmona last week. We took the train from the Rome Airport to Termini Station. Then we took the Metro to Tiburina Station. There is a bus that you can take to Sulmona that takes about 2 hours. It cost 27 Euros. On the way back to Rome, we took the train to Termini Station and then the Davinci Express to FCO. The cost was #28 Euros.

Good luck,

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Sulmona
Sulmona
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
melbourne australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Rome to Sulmona

As mentioned before you can take the train directly to Roma Tiburtina station not to Roma Termini. The ticket is 5 euro and available from the newspaper shop at airport or the ticket counter which is usually more crowded.

The bus is per person 12 euro and some euro cents. It is cheaper by train about 7euro I think but you must take a bus at the other end and train is not recommended with luggage.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Rome to Sulmona

Thanks so much for all the good advice. I think we have a plan now. MillieSC

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Rome to Sulmona

I think the bus is better to Sulmona than the train because it is faster, cheaper, and goes right to the center of town.

Mentioned in this post
Sulmona
Sulmona
montreal
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Rome to Sulmona

We will take several bus rides and I can imagine the cost will accumulate quickly will . Do they sell family passes or have discounts of some sorts?

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Rome to Sulmona

Intercity bus service in Italy is provided by many different private companies. They don't have any overall structure that could manage a pass system, or, for that matter, coordinate schedules. It's very difficult even to find schedules online, especially if you're taking a trip that uses buses of different companies.

However, the cost of tickets is pretty reasonable.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
10. Re: Travel from Rome to Sulmona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, September 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sulmona