We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vulcano to Stromboli for sunset hike up volcano and return

Woodford Halse...
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Vulcano to Stromboli for sunset hike up volcano and return

Hi all I am new here but trying to find some info on travel options and possibilities between the island of Vulcano and Stromboli.

We are thinking of staying at Therasia on Vulcano and would also like to take a trip to Stromboli to hike up for the sunset on the sumit to watch the "fireworks", and ideally return to Vulcano after descending.

Does anyone know if it is possible to return to Vulcano after descending the volcano on Stromboli on the same night? I guess what I am asking is are there plenty of ferries that run from Stromboli to Vulcano late at night? You may not know but thought I'd ask! Can private ferries be organised?

Kind regards

Daniel

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,161 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vulcano to Stromboli for sunset hike up volcano and return

Welcome to the Sicily forums digitaldanuk!

No, the ferries would not run that late at night. You would book an excursion, but Lipari is the more convenient base for excursions to Stromboli.

Gruppo di Navigazione Regina departs from Vulcano and Lipari.

http://www.navigazioniregina.com/

navigazioniregina.com/ita/escursioni_eolie.h…

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

Woodford Halse...
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vulcano to Stromboli for sunset hike up volcano and return

Hi Vagabonda!

Thanks for your reply and all the other useful info you have posted about this area. We have decided to stay for a night or two on Stromboli to make it simpler for us... There doesn't look to be a huge number of hotels there.

We will be on our honeymoon and would ideally like somewhere quiet (no road noise or scraping furniture on other floors etc) and comfortable beds.

Do you have any suggestions of accommodation? The ones we have looked at all appear to have mixed reviews. We will be I. Our honeymoon so I guess budget is the least important factor! Only plan on having one!

Take care and thanks!

Daniel

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vulcano to Stromboli for sunset hike up volcano and return

Prego Daniel, and it's my pleasure!

Stromboli is generally tranquil, since there are no cars on Stromboli. Apes are three-wheeled carts that serve as taxis.

There isn't a large number of hotels on Stromboli, and none is really luxurious, but rather rustic Aeolian charm.

You could easily base on Lipari or Salina and take a trekking excursion to Stromboli if you were to prefer a more luxurious accommodation, or if you decided against staying on Stromboli.

4-star La Sirenetta-Park Hotel has long been considered Stromboli's most exclusive hotel from the days of Roberto Rossellini and Ingrid Bergman's filming of "Stromboli". La Sirenetta-Park Hotel would send its own “taxi” to the port to collect you and your luggage, and it’s located on the black sand beach.

http://www.lasirenetta.it/

Hotel Miramare also offers transport from the port, beautiful views, and a black sand beach.

www.miramarestromboli.it/home.php?lan=en

La Locanda del Barbablu is a charming locanda with terraces, views, and a wonderful restaurant, although located on a main thoroughfare, and so perhaps too noisy.

http://www.barbablu.it/

Depending on your preferences for location, size, amenities, and style, these would probably be your top picks, although perhaps also Ossidiana or La Sciara.

Tanti auguri and best wishes for a wonderful honeymoon!

Vagabonda

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vulcano to Stromboli for sunset hike up volcano and return

I stayed at the La Sirenetta Park Hotel for 3 nights in September 2013 and just posted my review:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g194927-d238461…

We loved staying on Stromboli and at the La Sirenetta and found plenty to do for that time even though we didn't do the night time hike all the way to top. I know some people may find it not as exciting a location as Lipari, but we found it perfect and exactly what we were looking for. I've been lucky enough to do some island hopping in Greece and one of the main reasons we wanted to stay on Stromboli was that it was truly a unique, beautiful island that held different experiences you can't find on other islands. We saw the puffing volcano in the distance from the hydrofoil as we were arriving and were surprised at how green the port side of the island was. The other side of the island where the eruptions are is dramatically different and beautiful in another way.

The Hotel Miramar is right next to the La Sirenetta Park Hotel and looked to be a nice hotel too. A staircase up to the main thoroughfare separates the two properties. When we were there the La Locanda del Barbablu was closed but did look lovely as Vagabonda mentioned. I ran into people staying at the Ossidiana who liked that place too because it was handy for them as they were just there for the one night volcano trek which departs from the main square and was close to the port for departure.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

Rose

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,161 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vulcano to Stromboli for sunset hike up volcano and return

Thank you Rose for an informative review and post that have been bookmarked!

Vagabonda

Woodford Halse...
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vulcano to Stromboli for sunset hike up volcano and return

Thank you Rose and Vagabonda for your messages! We were looking at Miramare before you guys mentioned it as it looks like it has that personal touch that makes all the difference!! Hoping to hear back from them soon to confirm our booking!

Can't wait to go!!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vulcano to Stromboli for sunset hike up volcano and return

Prego digitaldanuk,

You are surely in for a treat with a stay on Stromboli, and isn't it the truth that a hotel with a personal touch can make all the difference!

Hope you hear from them soon, and best wishes for a great holiday!

Vagabonda

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vulcano to Stromboli for sunset hike up volcano and return

Staying at a friendly place with a personal touch definitely is the way to go, and why I always contact the B&B or hotel myself for a booking. This way I can relay any special information/requests and get a bit of feeling for the place based on their reply. I also booked my Sicily accommodations for my September 2013 trip in Jan/Feb as I found the most popular places tend to fill up quickly! Sometimes a reply took a few days/week to come back to me, as it's off season right now.

I know you will like staying at the Hotel Miramar, it's right next store to where I was. I almost booked there until I contacted the La Sirenetta-Park Hotel and was offered the deluxe view room at a very favorable special rate from what was listed on their website and booking engines. Granted, my reservation for for 3 nights in late September and not in the very high season, but I often find I get quoted better rates for better accommodations when I do it personally.

You will love Stromboli, and I agree it's a good idea to spend a night or two on the island just in case weather isn't cooperating one night for your volcano hike, you will get another chance! And I just remembered to say that the streets, steps, and paths do not have lighting so you will need a flashlight or headlamp to wear at night.. Our hotel provided a flashlight, and I brought along a headlamp/petzl that I got at Costco - a 3 pack for $20.00 that came in handy not only on Stromboli but other places where I wanted to make sure I was able to see and be seen in the dark.

Rose

Edited: 1:41 pm, January 12, 2014
Woodford Halse...
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vulcano to Stromboli for sunset hike up volcano and return

Hey Rose and Vagabonda,

Yep we have booked our other accommodations directly too, as it is our honeymoon, we wanted to make things extra special and, exactly as you say, contacting directly just makes everything more personal which is really important to us.

We are staying 2 nights on Stromboli for that exact reason.. in case the weather isn't great on one of the nights! If we are lucky to go on any night we may take a boat trip on the other night to get the view from the boat which we have read is equally spectacular!

Since my previous message, I have heard back from Miramar and they have confirmed they do have availability - yay!!

Our stay involves 7 nights on Sicily at the Villa Ducale in Taormina, followed by 2 nights at Miramar on Stromboli and then 5 nights on Vulcano at Therasia... rather opulent but it's a special occasion!!

Now need to learn some basic Italian! Vagabonda, I notice you open your messages with "Prego"... is this a friendly greeting that we can use?

Can't wait... not sure I can think of anywhere that better combines the forces of nature with great food and wine!!

Thanks!

Daniel

Edited: 2:18 pm, January 12, 2014
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,161 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vulcano to Stromboli for sunset hike up volcano and return

Surely contacting directly is more personal. Booking engines are only allocated a few rooms, and booking engines can't guarantee the type of room.

Your accommodation choices in Taormina and on Vulcano are lovely digitaldanuk. Five nights is a fairly long stay on Vulcano!

Begin your greetings with "Ciao, salve, buongiorno, buonasera, buonanotte..."

"Prego" means "you're welcome" after someone has said "thank you".

It would be helpful to learn some basic phrases!

http://www.fodors.com/language/italian/

fodors.com/language/italian/basic-phrases/

http://italian.about.com/

Best wishes for a wonderful honeymoon!

Vagabonda

Get answers to your questions about Stromboli