We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

foligno

Which Spoleto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
foligno

is foligno a good place to visit ?

Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: foligno

We went there last year and the year before on a day trip. The market is on a Thursday and that was why we visited. Some nice shops and restaurants and its good for history apparently, not my bag but hubbie says the first bible was printed there..

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: foligno

It's fine for about 2 hours.

Umbria
Level Contributor
69 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: foligno

Foligno is the main "city" of Umbria, so if you want to do some serious shopping (clothes/shoes), this would be a good place to go. It also makes a pretty good base as it is extremely central, has the main train station of Umbria, is flat for walking, and has a plethora of restaurants. That said, if your time is limited, there are many other more charming towns in the area worth a visit: Bevagna, Spello, Montefalco etc.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,970 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: foligno

We stayed in Foligno for 3 days this Spring and loved it. It was our base for a visit to Umbria and stayed in a lovely and very stylish boutique hotel/B and B. We LOVED the choice of restaurants in what we thought would be a "sleeper" town. Food was excellent. My mouth still waters from the memories.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
508 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: foligno

Jennifer don't forget that with apopulation of over 160 000 Perugia is the main city of Umbria! Admittedly Foligno has better shops and some excellent restaurants. Osteria del Teatro is my favorite but I love a drink or coffee and pastry at the Antico Caffè della Piazza. So yes, I'd say go there for a shopping afternoon and stay for dinner. Take into account that most shops will be closed between 1 and 4 p.m.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,970 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: foligno

Love Antico Caffe della Piazza. The lady who runs the place is wonderful. One night we were a little disoriented and couldn't find our way to the restaurant we had booked. She so kindly had her assistant walk us over. She introduced us to the joys of Aperol Spritz and Aperol Taz!

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: foligno

I enjoy an Aperol Spritz. What is an Aperol Taz?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,970 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: foligno

Less alcohol content than the spritz. Basically Cedrata with Aperol. A refreshing digestif. Sadly Cedrata is hard to find here in Canada. I know you can get it in more "sophisticated" New York (EATALY).

And in true disclosure, I think I misspelled it. Should be Aperol Tas

Spello, Italy
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: foligno

I think it also depends on when you are going. If you are visiting anytime around the Quintana (June and Sept) Foligno is fascinating. Not just for that actual event (just the prova- the trial- left me with goosebumps for an hour afterwards), but also because every district has their flags hung, and it makes the city particularly festive, and the taverne (the pop-up restaurants are a unique and wonderful way to get a sense of the beloved history of the town). The first printing press is indeed in Foligno (though after living a year in nearby Spello, I never did visit, since it's only open to the public one day a week), as is a pretty remarkable Sicilian bakery. They make a sfogliatella that will knock your socks off. At bottom, I think Foligno is a fascinating town. It's there to serve its citizens, not the passing tourist, but to my mind that only adds to its appeal. The homes are lovely, the walkability is wonderful, and if you read any of the history ahead of time, I can't help but think you'd be charmed.

Michelle

www.ilbelcentro.com

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: foligno

I'm sure it's probably not hard to find, but can anyone advise where the Thursday market is located within Foligno?