We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Days Outside of Rome, Opinions Please?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2 Days Outside of Rome, Opinions Please?

My husband and I have 2 days to kill next June before we have to meet my mother at the airport in Rome, and we are trying to figure out how to spend that time.

We've already been to Rome, Orvieto (which we loved and plan to bring my mom to), Civita, Florence, Siena, Montepulciano, and San Gimignano.

I've been reading a lot about Tivoli and Ostia Antica, I suppose that could probably keep us busy during the day if we just stayed in Rome. Trouble is, I am not dying to spend more nights in Rome. If there were some affordable (100E or less) terrific lodgings around the countryside of Rome, that might be nice.

Otherwise, I've looked at zipping down to the Amalfi coast, but in 2 days I don't know if that is really enough time.

It seems like Spoleto would be an option, but I'm not sure if it is the best choice. We love jewel like towns, hiking, biking, and charming hotels that are reasonably priced.

We are undecided on car rental vs. train at this point. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,757 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Days Outside of Rome, Opinions Please?

If you’re not dying to spend more nights in Rome, don’t spend more time in Rome.

Spoleto is also very Roman with a Roman Amphitheater, and a Teatro Romano, an ancient wall, Museo Archeologico, the Ponte delle Torri, Duomo, and churches – after time in Rome, possibly not your best choice.

Spoleto:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/spoleto/

There are charming small towns around Rome - Viterbo, Cerveteri, Ostia Antica or Zagarolo (Colle degli Ulivi).

Any small towns outside of Rome???:

…tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k1579…

Anon—Zagarolo:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k16125…

Two days on the Amalfi Coast would be a welcome change after Rome.

You could take the Marozzi bus from Rome’s Tirburtina Bus Terminal to Positano.

Rome to Positano - our experience with the Marozzi bus:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187779-i161-k2335…

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Days Outside of Rome, Opinions Please?

Alternatives to Vaga's reply is to pop into a more perky place than spoleto and try the likes of spello,montefalco,bevagna...... which gives you a pivotal position to see also Gubbio,trevi,asissi.

I feel that Spoleto is a bit less soulful and the small towns give you 'instant ownership' so to speak.

......can send an umbrian overview via email if you wish to shoot in an email address via the message link.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,757 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Days Outside of Rome, Opinions Please?

Spello is charming, but so tiny. I also thought of Assisi and Gubbio, but almost no need to go that far with the countryside towns around Rome - unless you want to!

Vagabonda

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Days Outside of Rome, Opinions Please?

Thanks so much for these thoughts. I am leaning toward zipping down to the Amalfi coast because we have never been to that region, and we plan to spend time with my mom later in the trip in the hilltowns around Umbria and Tuscany. Even though this means a longer journey, at least it is new to us and we are eager to see it!

The bus looks like a good option, although slower than a car. I think we'll rent a car to have the fastest and most convenient trasportation since this will be a short trip to Amalfi area. If we arrive at 12:30 pm at the airport, after renting the car and driving down to Amalfi, what time do you think we could expect to arrive? I am thinking we'll stay in a town called Nocelle above Positano.

Also, does anybody know how stressful it is to get out of Fiumicino Airport Car rental area toward the main autostrada? We have driven out/into Florence before, and we thought that was fine.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,757 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Days Outside of Rome, Opinions Please?

Prego mikisue – suspected Amalfi was appealing and it certainly would offer diversity to your itinerary.

It’s not difficult driving from Fiumicino’s car rental area to the autostrada, but it is difficult driving on the Amalfi Coast.

A car isn’t usually recommended on the Amalfi Coast – driving can be very challenging and traffic is horrific during July and August, but since your time is limited and you’ll be travelling in June, you could consider a rental.

Have you considered flying to Naples instead of Rome?

Check all driving routes, maps, estimated driving times and distances on ViaMichelin.

ViaMichelin:

viamichelin.com/viamichelin/…MaHomePage.htm

From Rome Fiumicino to Nocelle is 294km and would take an estimated 03h28 to drive.

Vagabonda

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Days Outside of Rome, Opinions Please?

Thanks Vagabond.

Unfortunately, we have already booked our flight, I sorely wish we would have thought to go into Naples instead of Rome. Oh well!

I LOVE that michelin site! It is extremely useful, and I appreciate you posting it. Terrific that it even calculates cost of tolls and gas.

Three and a half hours seems pretty reasonable, although the driving around Amalfi should be interesting...

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,757 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Days Outside of Rome, Opinions Please?

Should you decide not to hire a car, you could always take the fast train from Rome to Naples and hire a transfer from Naples to your hotel.

SITA buses connect the Amalfi Coast towns.

http://www.sitabus.it/wps/portal

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Days Outside of Rome, Opinions Please?

Nocello is very small and if you want to sit nothing it is an ideal place to lear at the disenfranchised in Positano......

Consider taking a stroll along the Sentiere degli dei ( Walk of the Gods)as it terminates here.....even if it is only a section as it is sensational.

Zurrieq
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Days Outside of Rome, Opinions Please?

hey, I have the same query. I'm going to rome for 6 days (though i've already visited) and i would like to go on a day trip somewhere.

now i narrowed it down to Orvieto(have already been there but it's beautiful), Rieti, Spoleto, Assisi (same as Orvieto), Tivoli, Ostia Antica, Florence

any ideas?

United States
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Days Outside of Rome, Opinions Please?

You might find this post helpful:

…tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k2965…

TAB