We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best base for hiking with car.

Which Selva di Val Gardena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best base for hiking with car.

My husband and I are driving from Bolzano and spending about 6 days in the Dolomites the first week in July. I plan to spend a couple of nights in Val Gardena, a couple Alta Badia, a night in Cortina and a night in Canazei or Moena before making my way back to Milan by way of Lake Garda. Are there better towns to base yourself in if you have a car in terms of ease/availability of parking and better scenery?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best base for hiking with car.

Hi,

I'll say up front we're not hikers.

For "better scenery", we prefer the Alta Badia. Only "real" towns would be Ortisei (Val Gardena) and Cortina. Others I'd classify as villages. We never encountered parking troubles anywhere in these area's. Cortina being the one exception. Very busy with traffic, etc. the day we visited (late Sept.). Never been to Moena though.

The Alta Badia and the Val Gardena are "next" to one another, with the Gardena Pass joining (or separating) these 2 valleys. The Gardena Pass happens to be our favorite pass to drive in the area. The Gardena Pass takes maybe 40 minutes to drive from Val Gardena to Alta Badia or vice versa.

With 6 days you could base in 1 location and cover everything on your list. You could also do 3 nights Val Gardena and 3 nights Alta Badia if you prefer.

We stayed once in Val Gardena at the Garni Ariston in St. Christina.

www.garniariston.com

We stayed twice in Alta Badia at the Ciasa Montanara in La Villa. We love this place and the views!

www.montanara.it

From La Villa (and Alta Badia in general), Cortina is less than an hour drive. No real need to change hotels to visit Cortina.

If interested, we have photo's at:

worldisround.com/articles/355539/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/324504/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/351565/index.html

Paul

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best base for hiking with car.

Thanks Paul. What was your favorite hike?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best base for hiking with car.

Hi again,

As I stated at the beginning of my response, we're not hikers. We did enjoy walking in the Alpe di Siusi/Seiser Alm though. We took the Mont Seuc/Seiser Alm cable car from Ortisei (Val Gardena) up to the Alpe di Siusi, two days in a row actually.

www.alpedisiusi-seiseralm.com/index.html

Paul

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,690 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best base for hiking with car.

Having a car really no reason to move around so much as you wast time every day you move.

It only takes 30mins to drive from Selva (di Val Gardena) to Corvara and only 20mins from Selva to Canazei.

Only 1h30 from Selva to Cortina

We drive from Munich to Selva in just over 3hrs and can be easily skiing by 11am.

Better off just choosing 2 places (like Corvara and Cortina for example or Ortisei and Cortina).

The extra stop in Canazei would save you an hour driving to Lake Garda (depends where you are going).

We go every year to Lazise (last 20 years) and that is only 4hours from Munich

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best base for hiking with car.

That sounds like a good idea. I'm trying to figure out the hikes I want to do and plan it from there. Thanks for the help.

6. Re: Best base for hiking with car.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 29, 2014