We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring ski clothing in January

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring ski clothing in January

My family will be skiing in Selva Di Val Gardena in January & as we paln to travel very lightly we were hoping to hire ski clothing there.We are having trouble finding a place that have rental clothing - any ideas?

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
761 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring ski clothing in January

Hi

I'm afraid there isn't anywhere that hires clothing, you'll need to bring it with you or buy it when you get here.

DD

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
761 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring ski clothing in January

PS - If you're coming to Europe in winter, you're going to need a good jacket whether you are skiing or not.

Add some good-quality, light-weight thermals (eg Odlo or Helly Hansen), waterproof-ish trousers and a fleece and you're pretty much sorted.

You might not look as stylish as the Italians in their day-glo, all-in-one ski suits (!) but at least you'll be warm and dry...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring ski clothing in January

Dear Dolly D !

Thanks for your feedback - unfortuneately this is also the conclusion we had come to...... In Australia all ski fields hire ski clothing, as well as skis & boots.

The interesting thing is that the link page below lists hire clothing & prices for jackets/trousers. But, there is no response to the multiple emails I have sent them. I get the impression this shop may actually be located in Ortisei, but apart from the email address of skirental.com, there are no other contact details ?

www.gardena-ski.com/?Prices_Selva_Gardena_eng

The question now is whether to lug our gear from here, or, to buy new here, or, to buy in Europe ?

Re your suggestion, you are of course correct, but I didn't really want to look like Franz Klammer whilst touring the Altes Museum !

Thanks again for your help.

Dolly D' : if you can set up a hire shop by January 2010, we will be your first customers !

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
761 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring ski clothing in January

Hi Sally

That's an interesting link you've found there. The shop you're refering to is actually in St. Christina. I'll see if I can find anything out for you.

Where are you going to be before the Dolomites? If you're going to be in Germany or France check out a shop called C&A. They have cheapish, reasonable quality ski gear that'll be fine for a few days use if you don't want to use up precious packing space.

DD

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring ski clothing in January

Hi DD !

We will be in Germany, Croatia (& elsewhere) prior to Selva, which is why we didn't want to carry our gear from home. I will definitely look up the C&A stores in Germany, as this sounds like a good bet.

If you can find out what the shop is in St.Cristina advertising rental clothing, that would be fantastic !

(They don't reply to emails !)

Thanks a lot for your help...........Sally C (and family)

cairns
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring ski clothing in January

Hi, we are from aussie too and will be in Bolzano the week before christmas and we are spending christmas in ortisei and have been emailing the ski shop....but same problem, they don't hire ski clothes! as we are from cairns, have kids and only skiing 3 days we definitely don't want to buy ski pants and lug them all around italy with us! can you let me know if you find anywhere? thanks heaps

cairns
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring ski clothing in January

Hi

we are from australia and will be in ortisei for four days over christmas and have ski jackets, googles, gloves but no ski pants. any ideas? definitely do not want to buy them as we have kids too. we will be in bolzano for a week beforehand...any ideas?

thanks

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiring ski clothing in January

Interesting to hear of the ski shop which hires clothing.

This is not all that common in Italy and infact the same goes not only for ski wear but also for suit hire, tuxedos etc.

Although the odd place can be tracked down, hiring clothes is not something Italians do.

You are right there may be a market there!!! lol

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiring ski clothing in January

Well, looks like no solution to our problem of finding ski hire clothing.

I'm not going to carry ski gear around European museums for 6 weeks just for 1 week of skiing ! We don't seem to be the only ones with this problem either.

At this stage we have no solution, apart from buying some basic economy clothing in Germany, prior to heading to Selva for a ski...............

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
9,973 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiring ski clothing in January

Just got my son (15) a new pair of ski trousers from C&A (Munich) last week (mens size Medium - He's 1.76m) price 60euros. They also do kids (3-14) stuff. Problem is it is mostly availble now and come next year Jan/Feb there tends to be lot less choice.