We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do

Newtown, Connecticut
Level Contributor
7 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do

We will be based in Selva for a week of hiking this summer. While we have hiking books I wanted to see if anyone had any particular recommendations. Lastly, wile our hotel is half board we are always looking for great lunch and afternoon coffee stops. So I selome any ideas for that.

Thanks, Chris

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,114 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do

Hi,

While we are not hikers, take the cable car from Ortisei (Val Gardena) up to the Seiser Alm. Many walking/hiking trails start here amidst stunning Dolomite scenery! There's also an indoor/outdoor restaurant/cafe at the top. I don't think theres a better place for a coffee stop!

www.alpedisiusi-seiseralm.com/index.html

Paul

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,926 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do

Two of my favorite hikes anywhere in the world are up at Seiser Alm. One is the walk up to Rifugio Bolzano Hütte (Schlernhaus (which would make a nice lunch stop) with a short side trip to the nearby summit (Monte Pez).

http://www.schlernhaus.it/index.html

The other is the Sassolungo circuit, around Sassolungo and Sassopiatto. We started from Saltria and rode the lift up to a hut (Plattkofelhütte) to pick up the trail. But there would be a much nearer place for you to start if you are stayin gin Selve; I think the Campinoi cablecar takes you up, and you pick up the circuit trail at Rifugio Comici.

If you don't want to do the whole circuit, you can break it in half by taking a route through the middle (between the two peaks).

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do

Well, there is no better place for walking than the Dolomites, really weel organised and excellent Huts.

I've been there 3 years in a row, and am still discovering the place.

The walk up to Rif. Boé is really good, and accross the plateau and the cable car down the other side is excellent, also the walk to ref. Puez is great.

Both places serve excellent lunch and are worth an overnight.

Ref.Boé is close to a 3000m peak, which is handy.

I'll check my maps to give more exact route.

all the best

gabhla

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do

Both routes start from Passo Gardena.

The route up to Boé is tough enough with some cables to assist you on the way up.

The refugio is old fashioned and remote, you may be lucky to see the helicopter supplying it.

2 of the 3 times I've been there in the summer, it snowed.

From there you may or may not do Boé mountain itself, either way you walk on to get the cable car down to passo pordoi.

The route to Puez in very nice, again a great hut, which even has showers.

Lots of nice walking in the area, and it's a great place to spend a night, and plenty of options to get back to Selva.

There is a very good public bus service in the summer, starts around the 22 June to end sept.

5. Re: Things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, September 20, 2009