We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for Saluzzo

Which Saluzzo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for Saluzzo

Having been to most of the italian major cities in previous years, we've decided to try somewhere less obvious this year and have booked several days stay in Saluzzo. Many guidebooks don't menton the city at all, so I'd be grateful for any ideas from others.

Are there (i) any particular sites in the city we shouldn't miss; (ii) day trips from Saluzzo worth doing (other than to Turin or Alba); (iii) restaurants in the oity worth trying (say up to 90euros for 2) for good food and wine (eg baloss di poggio)?

1 reply
Ospedaletti, Italy
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for Saluzzo

This is nearly a year too late for your trip, but we just got back from Saluzzo so hopefully someone else can use the suggestions.

It is a charming town, somewhat bigger than I expected but very manageable/walkable. We spent a lot of time simply strolling around the medieval quarter and the pedestrian part of Corso Italia, which was great for people-watching. Living in Italy, we do get a big castle-ed out so we didn't go inside the castle, rather enjoyed the views from the top of the hill and the gorgeous architectural details of the old buildings. The absolute highlight of our trip was a visit to I Formaggi di Franco Parola, which is about two blocks off Corso Italia. The array of cheeses is mind-boggling and the owner is super-knowledgeable and recommended some wonderful selections. Each cheese that you select is labeled with the source, type, age, etc. so you can remember what you've bought, educate yourself and have a chance of tracking it down again in the future. I think we took home several kilos.

We ate very well at Interno Due just behind the cathedral and at La Gargotta del Pellico in the medieval quarter. The host at La Gargotta is a very generous and gracious font of information about Saluzzo and environs so if you're looking for ideas from a local, you might visit there early in your stay. La Gargotta is very elegant, Interno Due a bit more casual but still quite nice. Depending on how religiously you follow the antipasto-primo-secondo-dolce model, it would be possible to eat and drink well at each for 90 euros for two.

The charming wine villages of La Morra and Barolo are within an hour's drive. Alba is a bit further but worth the trip in my opinion, especially if you are there on a Sunday for the market, which has a lot of artisanal food products.

Saluzzo would work well as a base for exploring Cuneo province. You can see Saluzzo itself in a day and then wander from there. We will definitely go back for the ambiance.

Reply to: Recommendations for Saluzzo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saluzzo