We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
30 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

Hi, I'm travelling to Riva on Wednesday (can't wait) and wondered what to do about tipping? Do you tip your room cleaners/waiters in the hotels and if so how do you do it? I don't want to embarrass anyone (or myself)!

Is there an amount you would usually tip for these services?

Any comments appreciated!

Thanks

Lisa

Italy
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

Tipping is not mandatory in Italy. If at the end of your stay you feel that you had a great service feel free to do it.

Edited: 10:39 am, August 26, 2013
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
30 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

Thank you Tabata.

One further question - weather! I've viewed several different sites and all are saying something different. Can you point me in the direction of a fairly accurate (as much as it can be) site to check the weather?

Thanks

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,071 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

Hi, when we leave we usually leave something in the room for the maid, and we give something to the head waiter to be shared among the wait staff. We take a couple of envelopes with us for the tips to make it more discreet.

Weather forecasts can never be accurate more than a day or two ahead, particularly in Riva where the surrounding mountains have such an influence on the weather. Your hotel will probably have a three-day forecast displayed on the front desk but they are not always correct!

Hope you enjoy Riva!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

i would give the tip to the cleaning lady in person because if you leave it in the room and send a porter up for your bags it will probably disappear, this has happened to us in the past I remembered I had left something in the room, went up to get it and the money was gone that we had left on the bedside table so now I always give iot to the lady myself.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

Also, we use the www.3bmeteo.com weather website, it isn't in English but if you write "Riva Del Garda" in the "Cerco" box it will be easy to follow. Also another for a 10 day forecast is www.weather.com

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
30 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

Thank you everyone - I can't wait to get to Riva now!

7. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 28, 2014