We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midges, Mosquitoes, Insects

Manchester
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Midges, Mosquitoes, Insects

Hello

We are staying in Riva del Garda from 12 - 26 September.

Are midges / mosquitoes / insects a problem? Will we need to take/wearinsect repellant? If so, any recommendations for something pleasant to use?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midges, Mosquitoes, Insects

Hi, this question arises from time to time and it seems that mosquitoes can sometimes be a problem, but are usually found more at the south of the lake. Generally speaking, it may not be as much of a problem in Riva and the other northern towns as it is windier in the north.

I would take insect repellent just in case. Avon Skin-So-Soft is often mentioned as an effective repellent.

This thread may be of help:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187838-i641-k50…

Hope you enjoy Riva!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
52 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midges, Mosquitoes, Insects

Hi, I stayed in Riva for a week in mid August and would definitely recommend you bring insect repellent and also a cream to ease the itchiness of bites. I myself got about 9 mosquito bites and my husband got about 12 and a lot of other people were bitten also. I have since heard that anyone who wasnt bitten had taken one antihistamine tablet a day for the week leading up to their holiday. Hope this helps.

Manchester, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Midges, Mosquitoes, Insects

Yes they are. Take plenty of repellant and "after bite" stuff. Also keep balcony door shut after about 5pm.

England
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Midges, Mosquitoes, Insects

don't switch lights on in your room until you have shut the balcony/window. They are attracted by light and warmth and a light bulb offers both !

after you have shut the window/balcony, then you can switch on the light.

Also, you may open the balcony/window again, but switch off the light first and allow at least ten minutes of darkness before reopening the window/balcony. Bear in mind though, that they will still home in on heat, so if you are a 'hot bodied' person, in the dark, you're more likely to get bitten than your cooler bed companion. stick to air conditioning and keep the windows shut ! Otherwise you'll need repellents and/or mozzie nets- floor to ceiling....

Winchester
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midges, Mosquitoes, Insects

Yes they were a problem. We stayed in Riva from 1st to 15th September, couldn't see or hear the little blighters but they sure had a feast on us. I don't normally get bitten but ended up getting bitten eighteen times. My bites weren't so bad, just a bit itchy and red, which cleared up as soon as I got home. My wife didn't have so many bites, but the one's she got all caused a painful swelling around the area and one on her ankle came up in a huge blister. The local pharmacy recommended an antihistamine cream, which eased the discomfort. Now, just a few days at home, and they too have gone. Next year I'll make sure I do some research before we travel.

Manchester
Level Contributor
286 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Midges, Mosquitoes, Insects

We are thinking of Lake Garda next year. This year we went in our caravan to Ferry Meadows in Peterborough and we all got bitten by mozzies. We think they are now here in the uk anywhere near water so avoiding the little blighter's will become impossible no matter where you go

7. Re: Midges, Mosquitoes, Insects

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, December 15, 2013