We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to Riva del Garda in late March for a conference

NYC
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
getting to Riva del Garda in late March for a conference

Hi,

I have to be at a conference in Riva del Garda in late March for a conference. I am coming from the United States (NYC). When I registered for the conference, I had no idea that it is so difficult to get to this location. The conference travel agency does not respond to my emails either. This is surprising since it is a large international conferene with lots of attendees from the US and Asia. I have been reading the posts here, and see lots of combinations of airports, buses, trains, taxis, etc. It doesn't help that I can't read Italian either, when I click on the various links.

In my situation, coming on an overnight flight from NY, am I better off flying into Milan (nonstop service, cheaper fares, etc) or Verona (have to make a connection, higher fares)? If I need to make a connection, how much time should I allow? Expedia keeps coming up with 1 hour connections in places like Paris, which I suspect is not enough time. Is going to Verona worth the hassle given that I have to somehow get to Riva del Garda?

I also see some people mention that hotels can arrange the transfer. I haven't booked a hotel yet. I have to do it through the conference website for the official rate, so it is hard to ask direct questions or find out about the hotels. Are there particular hotels that can do this for me? I would choose a hotel based on this alone, since this looks like such a problem.

Finally, what will the weather be like in late March? I am only going to be there for 2 days, and mainly at this conference, so it isn't too big of a deal, but would be nice to know what to pack.

thanks!

Santa Barbara Church
Churches & Cathedrals, Sacred & Religious Sites
Old Ponale Road Path
Hiking Trails, Biking Trails, Scenic Walking Areas
Valle di Ledro
Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
The Bastion
Points of Interest & Landmarks
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to Riva del Garda in late March for a conference

You can get to Riva del Garda fairly easily in at least two ways:

A.. Milano-Desenzano del Garda (or Verona)-Riva del Garda

1. Airport bus or train from MXP airport to Milano Centrale Station;

2. Trenitalia Frecciabianca or Regionale train to Desenzano del Garda;

3. SIA Bus Line LN027 to Riva del Garda at 13:30 or 18:30 ONLY

NOTE: You could also stay on the train until Verona Porta Nuova station, then take the ATV bus line 62/64 to Riva del Garda, which runs hourly (see below)

www.fsitaliane.it

trasportibrescia.it/upload/…LN027.pdf

B. Verona-Riva del Garda

1. Airport bus from VRN Airport to Verona bus depot: 6 Euros

2. ATV Bus Line 62/64 to Riva del Garda (hourly departures): 5.80 Euros

…verona.it/atv_www/…62-64.pdf

NOTE: You could fly NYC-FRA-VRN or NYC-MUC-VRN, both on Lufthansa. A 90-minute connection is sufficient if you're flying LH or its partner United Airlines.

Which would I choose? If airfares are roughly equal, fly to VRN rather than to MXP.

You could also make arrangements for a private transfer to Riva del Garda from either VRN or MXP (perhaps through the Conference Organizer), but it would likely be VERY expensive.

The weather is unpredictable: it might be very mild and sunny, or cold and overcast! Either way, Riva del Garda is a wonderful destination for a 2-day conference.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,224 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to Riva del Garda in late March for a conference

Hi, if you are coming by train from Milan, the bus service from Desenzano to Riva (up the west side of the lake) isn't as frequent as the service (62/64) from Peschiera to Riva (up the east side of the lake).

If you decide to fly into Verona you can take the shuttle bus to the train/bus station in the city centre then either:

(a) take a train to Rovereto then a taxi to Riva, or

(b) the62/64 bus to Riva.

You can put your exact dates into a site like www.booking.com to search for accommodation and to check which hotels offer transfers. As far as I remember, the Hotel Residence Bellavista and the Grand Hotel Riva both offer transfers of some kind. You will need to contact the hotels directly to see where they are willing to collect you from as well as the charges involved.

Is there any chance you could just hire a car and drive to Riva yourself from whichever airport is easier?

As for weather, this may be of use:

lake-garda-revealed.com/lake-garda-weather.h…

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
12,080 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to Riva del Garda in late March for a conference

Just to add if coming from Milan you can take the train to Peschiera del Garda and pick up the 62-64 bus there to Riva

From Rovereto a taxi should be ~ €40

The 301 bus runs from Rovereto to Riva. Takes 45-55mins

…pegasus.it/OrariDiLinea/OrariDiDirettrice-E…

4. Re: getting to Riva del Garda in late March for a conference

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, March 08, 2013