We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ravello as a base...yes or no ?

North West
Level Contributor
78 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Ravello as a base...yes or no ?

Hoping to go end Sept and getting confused about which town to stay in .Ravello looks like the kind of place I would like as I like smaller, typically Italian, old quaint type of place., rather than too touristy.However would I be better basing myself in one of the other towns, say Positano or Maiori? I would like to walk a bit so maybe could walk up if they are within reasonable distance/

Any hotel recommendations also welcome...good view etc

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,945 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ravello as a base...yes or no ?

It is just as touristy as any of the other villages. It is the one village high above the coast road, requiring a ride (bus/taxi) down to the sea/beach of about 20-30 minutes. It has gorgeous views, of course, being so high up, but if you want to be within easy walking access to the beach/boats, you may want to consider one of the other villages.

www.positano.com has some snippets of info on each. Positano and Amalfi both have ferry access - Amalfi being more the hub of transportation for the AC.

North West
Level Contributor
78 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ravello as a base...yes or no ?

Thank you I am not really bothered about the beach.

I just wondered would Ravello be a little quiet for five night break

I do intend to do day trip maybe by boat but would like ideally to be in a town where I could go on walks to others to pass the day. Also the prices for Maiori and Minori are more competitive but can one walk from there to Ravello??

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,945 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ravello as a base...yes or no ?

You can't really walk easily between the villages - the coastal road is a mess of traffic - cars, motorbikes and gigantic tour buses. There is a way to walk up to Ravello - quite a long walk up, obviously but doable. I don't know where it begins though.

Someone else here should know and I suggest you also read the various forums/threads here for each of the AC villages - there is a world of information already written about the AC and the villages that you should find very helpful.

Ravello would be far too quiet for me for five nights. But, then, I always stay in Positano which is my preferred village - I always find some tucked away places to wander in that village and I do love the boats along the coast and over to Capri.

Key is photographs and reading as much as possible to make your choice. It is still high season at the end of September so prices for lodging in the villages are still high.

Edited: 4:26 pm, June 15, 2013
North West
Level Contributor
78 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ravello as a base...yes or no ?

Thanks where would you recommend to stay with anice view in Posiatano

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,945 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ravello as a base...yes or no ?

There are many places with views - you should check www.venere.com to see what is available - you can sort there by budget, room type, dates - you don't need to book through them but you can see what is still available for your dates then you can look at individual websites for various hotels or B&Bs. Positano is not inexpensive either. Probably goes without saying.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
29 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ravello as a base...yes or no ?

Quiet is not always bad! We enjoy sitting in the square in the evening having a Limoncello or Aperol Spritz and watching the small kids play soccer. Depending on where you are staying it is nice to sit and look at the gorgeous view of the coast after dinner. Because most of the tourists are gone in the evening you see a lot of locals standing around and chatting. You could always spend 3 nights in Ravello and 3 nights elsewhere.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,163 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ravello as a base...yes or no ?

Ravello is a gem and has that village feel, so if Ravello looks like the kind of place you would like, why not stay there?

There are many excellent trails around Ravello as well, and a pleasant trek from Ravello to Atrani and onward to Amalfi. Tourist Information in Ravello provides hiking maps.

You might also consult the Ravello TI site – There’s an excellent map of Ravello posted on the site and information about walks in the area. And certainly enjoy a performance as well.

http://www.ravellotime.it/

ravellotime.it/downloads/mappa_ravello.pdf

ravellotime.it/en/…itinerari.asp

www.italiantouristoffice.se/sv/docs/1405.pdf

Vagabonda

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,580 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ravello as a base...yes or no ?

You can get plenty of quiet in Positano as an option - I was there early October last year and stayed high up in the village, on a path accessible only by foot traffic. All we heard was....nothing really. Some photos are here:

…blogspot.com.au/2013/06/bella-positano.html

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ravello as a base...yes or no ?

Having just returned from 10 days on the Amafi coast based just outside Minori, and having visited Minori, Amafi, Positano, Capri, Ravello and Sorrento, and having walked from Ravello to Minori, I would return to stay in Ravello. I found the town lovely, peaceful town and the added benefit of the Ravello Music Festival. What stuck me first when I arrived in the town is the wonderful smell from the flowering trees. There were sufficient grocery stores so that one did not have to leave town to stock up.

It's complicated to get to and from Ravello as it is located many kilometres up and back from the sea - the SITA bus from Minori going along the Amalfi coast was almost always full and we could not get on it many of the days that we tried. To get to Ravello one had to get off the coastal SITA bus and get on another bus going up to Ravello. We hired a local driver out of Minori or taxis to get us about - for 15 minute taxi cab to and from Amalfi the cost was 30 Euros. In retrospect we would have probably rented a car and though the roads are narrow and winding they should not present a great problem to an experienced and confident driver. However, parking on the Amalfi coast is difficult.

I am sure that one could find quiet places in most of the towns but many of the 'villas' are located close to the main road and may have road noise. One would have to be careful to check the exact location of the accommodation.

Virtually everywhere one would have to be prepared to walk up and down stairs. The walk from Ravello to Minori is not difficult (going down) but would have been far more arduous going up (as the one young man I met on the trail mentioned). It took about an hour to walk back to my villa.

North West
Level Contributor
78 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ravello as a base...yes or no ?

Thank you all for your information.

Yes the Ravello or Minori or Maiori option looks like the best

We like to walk so thought I might walk up and down from Mionoi if I choose to stay there.

I agree that Ravello is perfect but I want to go on a boat trip one of the days either to capri or one of the other villages so feel Minori or Maiori would be better for that.

Agree that a lot of the properties that are in stunning locations seem to be right on the coast road and thus very noisy with traffic Any suggestions re places to stay would be great.Happy enouh to consider apartments or hotels at reasonable rates.Many thanks for all suggestions