We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ravello walking for "older" seasoned travellers

No. California
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Topic
Ravello walking for "older" seasoned travellers

Hello,

My friends and I are looking at the Amalfi coast for a trip next spring. We've been to Northern Italy but we've always wanted to see the Amalfi coast. What we are planning right now is to spend 4-5

days in Rome and then travel down. None of us are 20 somethings

anymore and a lot of climbing would be difficult for a couple of us.. For this reason I've eliminated staying in Amalfi, Positano and some of the other towns.

Ravello sounds more easy to get around in and also a lovely town.

We could take public transportation to see some of the other towns

and boats when we wanted to. Would like some input from forum members on this-- anybody out there over 50?? Also have been

researching hotels ---dont want the most expensive but something close to the center of town. The Hotel Ristorante Garden looks nice[if small]. What do you think? Thanks in advance for your input.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Hotel Ristorante Garden
Hotel Ristorante Garden
278 Reviews
Ravello, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,398 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ravello walking for "older" seasoned travellers

Your right there although Ravello is well above sea level the ^Town its self is quite flat, lovely but not really much there, Amalfi is by no means flat the main street is not much more than incline the side lanes off rise a bit sharply, the steps up to the Cathedral are daunting, but I would not rule Amalfi out, afraid I do fall in that category !!

Positano is definitly a no no, steep every where,best thing is to do a boat trip there its from the sea you see it at its best, worth a visit to see the glorious scenery a few small eating places at sea level,

Mentioned in this post
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ravello walking for "older" seasoned travellers

Amalfi is easy to get around if you stick to the main routes.Ravello is OK but there are a lot of steps if you venture waway from the main square.The Hotel Garden has a good location and is conveniently located for buses and taxis

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
England
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Ravello walking for "older" seasoned travellers

Don't stay in Ravello. Stay in Scala (across the valley from Ravello) at the hotel la margherita villa giuseppina. It's a small (16 bedrooms) family run hotel which I can recommend (we're on our 4th visit). They have a website http://www.giroscopio.com/super.asp?id2=5716

There's a bus every 15 minutes to Ravello or Amalfi (1 euro for either) from about 0630 to 2300. From Amalfi catch the ferries to Capri, Positano, Sorrento.

You can walk across to Ravello (30 minutes) or down (1,000 steps) to Amalfi (60 minutes).

Fly into Naples, bus to the harbour, hydrofoil to Amalfi.

DO NOT HIRE A CAR - it's an awful place to drive and park.

Mentioned in this post
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Naples
Naples
QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,357 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ravello walking for "older" seasoned travellers

I agree that Ravello town is probably easier to get around than towns like Amalfi and Positano. Ravello would also be a nice place to stay if you just want to relax, as there isn't much going on there. I think it was my favorite of all the Amalfi Coast towns I visited. There are two lovely gardens, Villa Cimbrone and Villa Rufolo, and some restaurants. You could take a small public bus to get to Amalfi town. If you wanted to go beyond Amalfi town to Positano or Sorrento, you would transfer to a different bus in Amalfi. I think, but am not certain, you could also take a boat from Amalfi to Sorrento. Sorrento is another place that is pretty level once you are up in the town proper.

I am over 50, and was when I visited the Amalfi Coast, but I do a lot of hiking and walking so am in fairly good shape. However, even for me I knew the steep steps might be tiring, so I tried to prepare ahead of time by making stair climbing a part of of my routine at home -- i.e., walking up 3 or 4 flights of stairs to my office after lunch, walking the 4 flights to the cardio room at my gym.

Mentioned in this post
Villa Rufolo
Villa Rufolo
2,353 Reviews
Ravello, Italy
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
No. California
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ravello walking for "older" seasoned travellers

Thanks so much to all of you for your advice on Ravello, etc. I love Italy and am really looking forward to seeing this part of the country.

What is the average temperature in May/June there on the coast? I know you can look that up in guidebooks, websites, etc. but its always nice to know what others have experienced weatherwise.

Mentioned in this post
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ravello walking for "older" seasoned travellers

Dear Bluesue,

It's supposed to be pretty sunny and warm this time of year but a freak storm hit this evening around 4:30pm and it's now raining. People are walking around with sweaters or windbreakers. This year, the weather became warm sometime in mid-April.

If you're arriving from Roma, you might take a nice Eurostar train (ES) first class to Salerno (www.trenitalia.it). The only bummer is that the Salerno train station has no escalator from the platforms to the main level so you'd need to carry your luggage down. Anyways, you may purchase a bus ticket for around €3.20 euros at the newsstand on the left as you descend down the stairs to the exit (ask for "SITA Amalfi"). Then walk outside to the cement island and you should see people waiting for buses. The left side is for SITA buses (you should see a white sign with black lettering) and the right side is for CSTP but in general the SITA buses for Amalfi will stop near the island. When the SITA bus for Amalfi arrives, you can pull up on the black handle near the bottom left-side of where the passenger door opens and slide your bags in the compartment. Then you can stamp your ticket in the yellow/orange time clock box behind the driver. Here are the timetables for the SITA buses from Salerno to Amalfi. They might change by next Spring but maybe you'll get the idea about the bus system in general:

sitabus.it/sitabus/…Quadro-XV-1.pdf

The ride is *super* hilly and curvey so if anyone is prone to car-sickness you might take the ferry instead of the bus. The ferries from Salerno to Amalfi begin their service sometime in mid-April. They charge €1.50 for every piece of luggage that is taken aboard. To arrive at the ferry stop (Porto Turistico) from the train station, you can walk out the train station and cross the street at the two stop lights in front of the station. Then head right and cross the street when you see the tall pole-like monument. Cross the busy street (be careful and try to cross where you see the consecutive vertical white lines on the street) and head towards the pole-monument in the middle of the big parking lot (this is Piazza Concordia). Behind the monument is the entrance for the pier (Porto Turistico). Walk down the ramp (it's easier than walking on the left side which will end in stairs) and continue until the pier bends to the right. You should see a trailer where you may buy your tickets. Here's the web site for the company that runs these boats:

coopsantandrea.com/it/…

Once in Amalfi, you can use the same bus ticket (if you took the bus otherwise you may use I believe a cheaper bus ticket) to catch the bus for Ravello. If you take the bus, when you get off there should be a waiting Ravello-bound bus:

sitabus.it/sitabus/…Quadro-XV-2.pdf

I heard that the tourist office in the middle of the main piazza in Ravello is super friendly.

Buon Viaggio...

Mentioned in this post
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
No. California
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ravello walking for "older" seasoned travellers

Kkushiba, Thankyou so much for your very informative post, wish I were there right now, rain and all!

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ravello walking for "older" seasoned travellers

Dear Bluesue,

No problem, and people around here might consider your group anything but "older."

Last night it was so cold I actually wore a down jacket and looked very silly as everyone was wearing cotton. Today the weather is simply lovely with blue skies, drier air (probably won't rain today), and sunshine. People are walking along the ocean with their friends/family and just enjoying the morning. In June IMHO, rain doesn't last too long (a day or two and for an hour or less).

Also, you may also look around for postings about private drivers. I'm guessing that you might take a train to Napoli Centrale Train Station or to Salerno. I believe from Napoli Centrale Train Station, drivers are waiting and willing to drive people to the coast. Their prices might be high but the drive might be more comfortable. I think there's a limo company (benvenuto limo's?) and an Amalfitano gentleman who at least offers services from Napoli Capodichino Airport (around 3-4 miles south of Napoli Centrale Train Station). Here's the web site of the gentleman in case you'd just like to take a look:

http://www.francescomarrapese.com/

As mentioned, transportation from Napoli to either the Costiera Sorrentina or the Costiera Amalfitana is quite the dilemma so you'll find many postings in this forum describing which companies were nice and honest and which companies need to be avoided.

In any case, happy vacation planning....

Buon Viaggio...

Mentioned in this post
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ravello walking for "older" seasoned travellers

I'm a 50 year old, and found Ravello a wonderfully relaxing town. It was the perfect "capper" to our otherwise hectic 3 week vacation (25th anniversary trip). We visited during the 2nd week in April of this year.

And I have to disagree that there's not much happening in Ravello. Even in the pre-season, there were live music performances (one in the square, another on the terrace of our hotel - the Palazzo Sasso). Later in the spring, and throughout the summer, the performances become even more substantial and frequent. Plus, simply sitting on a terrace, sipping a cappucino, and soaking up the sun and the stunning view of the Bay and the surrounding mountains was PLENTY of activity for us, after two weeks in Barcelona, Tuscany, and Rome.

There is moderate elevation change in town. Most of it occurs over relatively gradually inclining alleyways and walkways. You can choose to climb staircase-type shortcuts, but we loved to stroll along the alleys and walkways, meeting and greeting folks along the way. The restaurants in town are, for the most part, the sorts of places where you feel reassuringly welcome (particularly, IMO, the Cumpa Cosimo) - and the strolls back to the hotel tend to help with the digestions - along with the limoncello of course.

Although we stayed at a pretty expensive hotel, the prices were still at "low season" rates - given the levels of service and the quality of the rooms, the views, and the food we felt it was an excellent value. There are plenty of other options available - check out the "Hotels" section of this web-site.

Have a great time!

Dave

Mentioned in this post
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
10. Re: Ravello walking for "older" seasoned travellers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, August 16, 2009