We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

will the gardens still be blooming in mid-October?

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
13 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
will the gardens still be blooming in mid-October?

We will be on the Amalfi Coast in mid-October. Is it worthwhile to take a trip to either the villa Rufolo or vill Cimbrone at that time ot year. What is the weather like in October? Will the gardens be in bloom at that time?

Alaska
Level Contributor
820 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: will the gardens still be blooming in mid-October?

I hope to hear an answer to this question as well, as I will be visiting the very first week of October.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: will the gardens still be blooming in mid-October?

Depends what's been planted of course, however the climate shouldn't be so very different to here on Ischia - only some 35-40 miles away - where October is still very colourful....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/recoct

These are from a visit early in the month to our island's "La Mortella" gardens last year...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/lam_1010

... but amongst the ones here there are several from 28 October, back in 2004...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/mortella

Peter

Alaska
Level Contributor
820 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: will the gardens still be blooming in mid-October?

La Mortella looks lovely!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: will the gardens still be blooming in mid-October?

Thanks!

Concurrently...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g580214-i10609-k…

Peter

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
13 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: will the gardens still be blooming in mid-October?

Your photos are gorgeous! I'm an artist and would like to paint from a few of them, particularly the trumped up Pension de Sole (no room at this inn). The island looks beautiful. Wish we had time to get there, but we're going to be on a cruise and only in Amalfi Coast area for a day.

Thanks.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: will the gardens still be blooming in mid-October?

Maggie we were in Ravello in September and early October last year and fell in love with the whole town. As you are an artist you will be in seventh heaven- the whole vista of the sea from the mountainside, especially from the terrace at the Villa Cimbrone with its fake classical busts and the grottos and vistas of the gardens laid out by Lord Grimthorpe and his friends ( Vita Sackville West of Sissinghurst fame laid out the rose garden ) are exquisite. The gardens are planted for early colour and are mostly green and structural at that time of year but still not to be missed. Also do make sure to photograph the cloisters and amazing wooden garden door as you enter the gardens; as an artist I am sure you will be bowled over by the setting.

The gardens at Villa Rufolo were very colourful with masses of bedding plants because of the Ravello Music Festival which takes place in the gardens ( see Ravello Arts website ). I am a very keen gardener and we have three and half acres of gardens here in Somerset and as such as we garden on such a large scale I am no lover of massed bedding, but I can see its attraction for public spaces where nonstop colour is needed during late Summer and Autumn.

We were in Florence this May and visited the Bardini and Boboli gardens and sadly had just missed the roses as it was so hot, but again the structures and the hedges and fountains were so beautiful that the lack of flowers was not so important as you could see the bones of the gardens.

I hope you get some wonderful ideas for your paintings and that you fall in love with the Amalfi Coast and especially Ravello.

Best wishes

Judith

Edited: 9:19 am, July 09, 2011
Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
13 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: will the gardens still be blooming in mid-October?

Thank you, Judith. I, too, love to garden. I live on Cape Cod which is beautiful and has wonderful light. The thought of hills and gorgeous vistas is whetting my appetite for this trip. Did you do a day trip or were you staying in that area?

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: will the gardens still be blooming in mid-October?

Maggie you are very welcome. It's good to talk to a fellow gardener. Here in the South West of England we have many gorgeous gardens that flourish in our temperate climate. Cape Cod is near the top of my must visit list and you mention your wonderful light, you will love the light in Italy and I hope will wish to spend more time on the Amalfi Coast, perhaps on a future trip.

We stayed for 12 nights at the Hotel Caruso in Ravello, an exquisite palazzo now owned by Orient Express Hotels ( see my review of October 2010 ). I was going to suggest that you might like to have lunch there by the pool with the most amazing views down the mountainside to Minori and the Med when you would be able to view the hotel gardens, but I wonder if you would have time on your day trip. We loved the hotel so much that we are going to stay at the sister hotel the Villa Saint'Andrea In Sicily for two weeks.

You asked about the weather and whilst I can only speak for last year we had delightful weather with overcast skies on only a couple of days, perfect for sightseeing but Peter will be able to advise you better as he lives on Ischia and is always so helpful with advice. You have certainly hit on a very friendly site as there are certain people who are very helful with their advice and certainly helped me when I was searching for the perfect hotel and base.

west barnstable...
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: will the gardens still be blooming in mid-October?

Maggie, I would love to hear about your trip when you return. We are planning a week in Ravello in April next year. We have visited Italy many times, but this will be our first trip to the Amalfi Coast. P.S. We also live on Cape Cod.

10. Re: will the gardens still be blooming in mid-October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, October 05, 2012