We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding at Hotel Caruso

Which Ravello hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Wedding at Hotel Caruso

I've read some great reviews of Hotel Caruso but I would dearly love to hear from any of you folks that have had a wedding reception there...especially in late Sept early Oct.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding at Hotel Caruso

Hi bbbelle,

My husband and I were married at the Caruso this past September. It was late September and the weather was beautiful! They have amazing gardens and various indooor areas where you could have a reception. The only 2 things I would warn you about are - 1. The Caruso is a rather small hotel (only 40 some rooms) so if you want to have an indoor reception, your numbers of guests will be limited by space. They have lovely outdoor locations, so you may prefer this. 2. It is very, very expensive so if you are planning for a lot of guests, I hope you win a lottery before because you will need to to afford the Caruso. If you can afford it, it is worth the splurge. Check their website -www.hotelcaruso.com and e-mail them any ?s you have. Also keep in mind that Ravello is a small quiet town, so they do not appreciate noise. We had a very small reception and it was second to none. I would not recommend this hotel if you have a lot of guests, otherwise it is fantastic!!! Good Luck!

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding at Hotel Caruso

Thank you very much Ooffie. Your feedback is extremely helpful. We will only have a small party of guests (25), so Caruso sounds ideal. I agree that the expense is bordering on prohibitive, especially with our lack-lustre exchange rate. However, if it's worth it, then "I'll go for broke" - as we say in Oz!

Any feedback on food, accomodation or other challenges encountered in Ravello would be well received...

Thanks again!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding at Hotel Caruso

Hello again bbbelle,

I'm happy my feedback was helpful to you. Here are some more of my suggestions - with 25 guests, the Caruso would be great for your reception. I would also suggest that you and your new husband book the 2 night Honeymoon Special which is at a reduced rate and includes extras such as a dinner on their terrace restaurant overlooking the sea (unmatched view) and fabulous food. The Caruso prices for rooms are really outlandish - perhaps you could arrange for your guests to stay at another hotel in town. Everything is in walking distance - it is a very small town. The 2 best places for your guests would be Hotel Bonadies and Villa Rufulo - where they have lovely outdoor concerts if you like that sort of thing. Book everything as early as you can as I was surprised at how quickly everything fills up. No matter what you read, do not have anyone stay at the Hotel Giordano - rooms are old and cramped and in disrepair. Food is equally bad. Restaurants that are great include Cumpa Cosimo (always have the hotel make the dinner reservations, esp here). Cumpa Cosimo is at the end of Via Roma (44-46)off the main piazza. Also don't miss Ristorante Garden and Salvatore - right at the end of the main big tunnel off the main piazza. Let me know if you want to know about anything else - we loved Ravello and because it is so small and we know several people who have been there, we have gathered a lot of information.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding at Hotel Caruso

What fabulous tips!!! Thanks again Ooffie. Yes, we will definately need to find some cheaper accomodation options for our guests. Hotel Toro looks like it is in the right price bracket for most of our friends and although it doesnt have a view, it seems to have a nice little communal garden. Did you happen to venture in there at all?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding at Hotel Caruso

Hi bbbelle,

Yes, we know of the Hotel Toro. You are right, there is no sea view, but they do have a lovely breakfast garden. Hotel Toro is actually a Bed & Breakfast (3 stars) and is next to Villa Rufulo. I have heard good things about it, but it is very small - I think they only have 9 or 10 rooms. We had friends that stayed at the Villa Maria - I think they have various types of rooms. Our friends had what was really a self-catering apartment that came with an equipped kitchen, living room, bedrooms etc. They bought fresh food at the grocers (esp. for breakfast and lunch) and would eat in. They would eat out in the evening. They had us for lunch one day and the food was so fresh and delicious. This type of thing does not appeal to everyone, as many don't want to "cook" while on holiday. They did it mainly to save money. Other things I can tell you - (I hope I'm not boring you, but I don't know if you have been to this part of Italy before)Ravello has a lot of stairs everywhere - you have to climb stairs from the main piazza to get to Hotel Caruso and to Villa Cimbrone - don't miss this place - it is worth the climb for the incredible view - it is the highest point in Ravello - and it has very beautiful rose gardens. They charge 5.00 Euro for admittance. Also try the local liqueur after dinner sometime. It is called limonecello and is basically sweetened, alcohol infused lemon peels which is strained and bottled. There is a factory which makes this across from Hotel Giordano where they will give you free samples to try. It is delicious, but deadly!!! Do not hire a car in this part of Italy - the coastal road is narrow, winding, right on the edge of the cliff and full of big tour buses which can hardly get through. Have the hotel arrange for a car to pick you up at whatever point you are coming in to - airport or train station. It is not cheap, but it is really worth it because you can enjoy the view of the sea and the cliffs. It is really breathtaking. Once in Ravello, there are SITA buses which will take you to Amalfi or Positano for about 1 Euro. Also, I forgot - Hotel Caruso has a free boat service to Capri and back - if you have time, do this because Capri is wonderful as well. Sorry to go on so long, but once you have experienced all this it is hard to forget it, not that you would want to. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with - I would be most happy to!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding at Hotel Caruso

Sorry, bbbelle - I have slippery fingers today and I think I sent the last post twice!

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding at Hotel Caruso

bbbelle

I have been reading various forum posts for hints and ideas as i am getting married in Ravello in Sept. I woudl like to provide an update to the above as we visited Giordano in February and it has been refurnished and is freshly painted with fresh bright tiling in all the bedrooms and new bathrooms. The whole place is lovely and indeed we found all the rooms that we saw - about 12 of them - to be good sizes and have recommended it to our guests. Indeed we are staying there and Villa Maria that week.

8. Re: Wedding at Hotel Caruso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, August 16, 2009