We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ravello as home base

Which Ravello hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carmel, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ravello as home base

My husband and I are travelling to the Amalfi coast May 2010. Of course, we'd like to see Pompeii, Sorrento, Amalfi Coast, Paestum, etc. I'd like to make Ravello our home base. Is this reasonable? I'm aware we'll probably take buses to the coastal towns but have a car for inland trips. Any suggestions? Is this a ridiculous idea? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
211 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ravello as home base

How long are you staying on the Amalfi Coast? If you were staying 6 or 7 days, you could consider splitting your stay between two locations. Ravello is somewhat isolated and I think you may find it inconvenient as a base when traveling to places such as Pompei and Paestum. That will be a day for each location.

Although the cities are close together, you will waste much valuable vacation time in a car, bus, or ferry. We Loved Ravello, but we didn't leave until it was time to move on to Positano and Naples.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ravello as home base

I agree with the previous post. We stayed in Sorrento and drove the coast including Ravello. Ravello is a challenging drive especially if you were doing it every day. My company was paying for my stay in Sorrento or I probably would have stayed a couple nights in Amalfi, Ravello, and Anacapri. Just my thoughts...

Edited: 11:08 pm, March 16, 2010
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ravello as home base

My choice would be to stay in one of the lower coast villages - my fave being Positano but they are all beautiful. Ravello is high up and takes a bit more traveling to get to places.

For me, Sorrento is, of course, lovely but I find it too serene for me - I love the drama of the Amalfi coast - landscape wise - I never tire of it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ravello as home base

Hello Michelle-Fay,

what did you end up doing? I am planning a July trip...

Thanks,

Bruce

5. Re: Ravello as home base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 22, 2010