We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palazzo Sasso or Hotel Caruso

Which Ravello hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
210 reviews
Save Topic
Palazzo Sasso or Hotel Caruso

Can anyone help me decide? What are the pros and cons to each?

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
318 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palazzo Sasso or Hotel Caruso

Hi! It's a bit difficult answering to this question...but I can help you.

Firstly, Palazzo Sasso is owned by a local family, so the style of the decor and of the furniture of both common areas and room are very chic and intimate, and everything reflects the tradition of the Amalfi Coast.

Instead, the hotel Caruso is owned by the American society "Orient-Express hotels and resorts", so the furniture is more of a ritzy kind, and this will not let you do an authentic and genuine Italian experience.

But all the rooms at the Hotel Caruso are big, also the ones belonging to a lower category; while at Palazzo Sasso the most of the rooms are quite small...but you' ve to consider that this depends by the old origins of the palazzo, and for this reasons you can't blame hotel's organization.

But I can tell to you that the food at Palazzo Sasso is excellent: the chef Pino Lavarra is well-known in the entire Italy for his divine cuisine! At the Hotel Caruso you'll find a more traditional cooking, very good, but not amazing.

You' ve only to choose: an authentic experience in an old aristocrat estate....or the old world charm mixed with ritzy style?

I wish you a wonderful holiday in the glam and fabolous Amalfi Coast!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palazzo Sasso or Hotel Caruso

We stayed at the Sasso for a week last year (my 19 & 23 year old children, my wife, and I) and we thoroughly enjoyed the pampering we received at the Sasso. We also toured the Caruso, as we had considered that hotel as well and wanted to see what we were missing. We chose the Sasso based on price, ultimately - we were there in mid-April, and they were willing to provide a much more significant discount than the Caruso.

We were in a King-view room, which struck us as rather large; our children were in a Queen-mountain room (a misnomer for sure, but a very comfortable yet small room).

Having said all that, you can't go wrong with either facility. They are beautiful, have nearly the same idyllic views, are expensive and fabulously luxurious - - flip a coin if you have to (although we'd choose the Sasso again if forced to make a choice for reasons I can't really articulate).

London, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Palazzo Sasso or Hotel Caruso

Palazzo Sasso is more intimate, less rooms, smaller dining area, smaller everything, but bigger when it comes to welcoming you. Staff here seem to be a lot warmer, while the Hotel Caruso seems to be very cold and almost empty. Also you tend to get lost in the Caruso.

Palazzo Sasso is definitely my favorite. But it depends on what you prefer the more intimate feel or the more luxrious feel.

4. Re: Palazzo Sasso or Hotel Caruso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, September 11, 2009