We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay in Ragusa

Bayside, New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Places to stay in Ragusa

We are (3 single women) traveling to Sicily for 2 weeks from Sept 2-14. We are planning to stay 4 days each - San Guiseppe Jato at an agriturismo, Ragusa area and then Taormina. We have booked each except Ragusa. We are not sure where to stay, Ragusa Ibla or Modica. We are open and flexible. Any suggestions?

Donna

8 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,933 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay in Ragusa

Welcome to Sicily dc127!

Do you plan to rent a car?

Perhaps these threads will assist in your decision.....

Modica or Ragusa?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3951…

Ragusa or Modica

tripadvisor.com/…42533357

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

Bayside, New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay in Ragusa

yes we are renting a car because we plan to do side trips to erice, palermo, trapani etc...all the usual sites although I am open to suggestions on things to do that are off the beaten path...

thank you, Donna

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,933 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay in Ragusa

Do you plan to take day trips to Erice, Trapani, and Palermo from Ragusa or Modica?

Ragusa or Modica are not convenient (or appropriate) bases for day trips to Western Sicily.

There are no autostrade in Ragusa province, so driving is slow.

You have completely underestimated distances and driving times, as well as time required to see the sights in every destination, and also remember the midday closings.

It’s a 5,5-hour drive from Modica to Erice, or from Modica to Trapani, and it’s over 4 hours from Modica to Palermo. Depending on traffic and time of day, it could take even longer to Palermo, and then there’s driving and parking issues in Palermo – It’s really best not to drive in Palermo.

Check driving routes and (minimal) estimated driving times and distances on ViaMichelin.

http://www.viamichelin.com/

Perhaps reconsider a base in Southeastern Sicily if you intend to explore Western Sicily - Sicily is a large island!

Vagabonda

Edited: 3:32 pm, April 01, 2013
Bayside, New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay in Ragusa

So sorry for the misunderstanding. We are staying at an Agriturismo in San Giuseppe Jato for the western Sicily region. Ragusa area will be for the Southeast region and Taormina will be for the Northeast region. I believe this is a good base for each region.

Bayside, New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay in Ragusa

Hi,

Oh my sorry for the misunderstanding. We are staying at a farm in San Giuseppe Jato for the Western Sicily region. Ragusa region for the southern sicily and Taormina for northern sicily. Thank you for the mileage link it will be so helpful. Thank you for helping us. I think we will stay in Modica based on the information I read - that will be suitable for us.

I may come back to you for other suggestions .....at some point...

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,933 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stay in Ragusa

My apologies dc127 – It was my misunderstanding not yours! My response was in reaction to Post #2, but had I referenced your initial post, it would have been obvious that you were planning to visit Western Sicily from your base in San Guiseppe Jato.

The countryside is beautiful around San Guiseppe Jato, but the driving is very slow on the mountainous roads of Palermo province, so it’s not the most convenient location for touring Western Sicily.

Note that there’s construction on the road between Borgetto and Partinico, and the road is completely closed should you find yourself in that area.

Modica and Ragusa are both lovely, so it’s really a matter of which town you find more appealing.

Western Sicily, Modica, and Taormina will positioned you well for touring.

Thanks ever so much!

Vagabonda

Bayside, New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to stay in Ragusa

Vagabonda, I am so grateful for your insight. We may change our location for Western Sicily. Since you are so knowledgeable can you recommend an area and/or agriturismo we can stay at.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,933 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to stay in Ragusa

Prego dc127,

This earlier thread discusses optimal bases in Western Sicily - Where to stay in Western Sicily?:

tripadvisor.com/…46528988

You might consider Agriturismo Tarantola near Alcamo, but the towns discussed in the above thread are more convenient for exploring.

The Modica area may be an option for an agriturismo - There are excellent choices in town and in the countryside around Modica.

Vagabonda

Reply to: Places to stay in Ragusa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ragusa
More Ragusa Topics