We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Come faccio tuto resto?

Which Ragusa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
59 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Come faccio tuto resto?

We are travelling in Sicily by rent a car and having the route Bari-Messina-Palermo(3 nights)-Agrigento(1 night)-Piazza Armerina(take a look)... and then head towards Ragusa Ibla and Siracusa. Do you advise me... on staying one night in Ragusa and one in Syracuse, or 2 nights in one of these two cities? After that we ate continuing to Catania (stay 2 nights) to see Mount Etna, Catania, and Coppola villages). On the end we' ll try to spend 2, 3 hours in Taormina (just to see teatro and granita) and hurry back to return a rent a car in Messina. You think it's posssible or you have a better suggestion? (Trying to spend as less fuel and time popping around) ;)

Thank you!

13 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Come faccio tuto resto?

Ciao monde2609,

The problem with taking a look in Piazza Armerina is the lack of left luggage storage anywhere in Piazza Armerina, and it’s always a risk to leave your luggage unattended in the car.

It’s also not recommended to drive in Bari, Messina, Palermo, or Catania - And you really wouldn’t require a car in the cities.

You might visit Agrigento by bus from Palermo.

Time is lost changing hotels, Siracusa offers more than Ragusa, and Ragusa takes more than a quick look to be appreciated.

But you might travel to Ragusa from Agrigento, spend the night in Ragusa, and day trip to Piazza Armerina from Ragusa.

You might also spend two nights in Siracusa and take the bus or train from Siracusa to see Catania.

Then stay in Taormina for the remainder of your nights and visit Etna and Savoca from nearby Taormina.

You could return the car in Taormina – Where will you head after Messina?

Your itinerary is city-heavy....

Vagabonda

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
59 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Come faccio tuto resto?

There are just 15 days left to go... We are coming by ferry Dubrovnik-Bari. We still doubt whether to take a personal car and drive the route (Bari-Messina-tour di Sicilia)??? Or....

Or other solution... right from the ferry to catch the bus to Messina (night drive for 7 hours). In Messsina rent a car and start traveling around island.

This is my itinerary:

Messina-Cefalu (2.3 hours)-Palermo (3 nights, including visit to Monreale)

Palermo-Agrigento (1night)

Agrigento-​​Piazza Armerina-Ragusa(1 night)

Ragusa-Siracusa(1 night)

Catania (2 nights ... because of Etna, Catania )

and as we go by .... visit Taormina and villages... and back to Bari, on the ferry to Dubrovnik.

Have I explained it any better :( ?

P.S. We don't mean to drive in the big cities like Palermo or Catania, that's why I'm trying to find B&B with free car parking in those cities.

If I am going with personal car, 3 or 2 days in the same city I don't pay for rent a car. If I rent a car, I don't move it for 3 days in Palermo but I pay for rent. If I am going with my personal car I just pay tolls and gasoline.

Please help.... it's so confusing.... I am so worrried...

I am trying for months to synchronize schedules, to make the best option for us, and to walk through this trip not spending a fortune.

P.S. We don't want to travel around Sicily by public transport.

Grazie mille!*

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Come faccio tuto resto?

Note that the autostrada between Salerno and Reggio di Calabria is under construction.

www.stradeanas.it/index.php…

Even if you’re not expecting to drive within the cities, you have to drive to the cities and in the cities to get to the hotel. This is not a good idea and you don’t need a car in Palermo or Catania. Stay outside the cities if you have a car.

What are driving conditions like in Sicily?:

http://www.bestofsicily.com/faqs.htm#driving

Aside from the large city issues of traffic, ZTL, and difficulty parking, driving in Catania is not particularly safe since drivers are often robbed in their own cars. A scooter pulls in front of a car while a second scooter robs you in your own car. It happens so often, that the authorities are completely apathetic.

robbery while driving in our car:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187888-i735-k4500…

And in Palermo - Gridlock traffic, ZTL, aggressive and unruly driving, no lanes, double parked cars and trucks, difficulty parking, disrespectful drivers, poor signage, one-way road system…

You could take the bus from Bari to Palermo, see Palermo without a car, and then take the bus to the airport and hire the car at Palermo’s airport – You would appreciate the car in Agrigento, Piazza Armerina, Ragusa, and Siracusa.

But then return the car at Catania’s airport or find an accommodation outside the city.

Vagabonda

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
59 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Come faccio tuto resto?

Ciao!

Thanks for your advice and warnings. But I must say now I'm disappointed and so scared. I am thinking over and over all the time what to do....

I am also scared because I'll have with me all the time my professional camera everywhere... (and I am scared about my personal car) :(

I came up with this idea:

Maybe I should rent a hotels outside Catania or Palermo (in their district) with free parking space, garage (car - rental or mine) . What hotels do you suggest for this option?

For example, in Catania: "Hotel Villa Mater", who is a 10-minute drive from Catania city centre and 4 km from the A18 motorway.

Do you know similar hotels near Palermo and Catania, not to expensive but in district of those two cities (where can we leave the car safely) and explore cities on walking tours.

Or another solution.... Maybe I should park my car at the airport (when I am In Palermo or Catania) how much does it cost per day/hour? And then take the bus and rent a B&B in those cities in center.

Is it good idea?

Grazie, un baccione!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Come faccio tuto resto?

Ciao monde2609,

Knowing the situation will better help you prepare and take the necessary precautions.

This thread offers suggestions.

Leaving car with luggage at carpark at Valley of the Temples:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3424…

Exactly – Simply park the car at the airports when you visit the cities and take public transport to the cities.

You could park at Palermo’s airport and visit Palermo - Take the frequent and reliable Prestia e Comandè bus service from the airport to Palermo.

www.gesap.it/index.php…

www.prestiaecomande.it/index.php…

The Prestia e Comandè service from the airport to Palermo runs later than other public transport from Palermo to any surrounding town. You could then enjoy a very long day in Palermo, including dinner, which is generally considered late in Sicily by tourist’s standards, just beginning around 20.00. Then take the bus back to the airport, collect your car, and drive onward to your hotel.

You could also park at Catania’s airport and take the AMT Alibus 457 from the airport to the city.

www.aeroporto.catania.it/page.php…

http://www.amt.ct.it/PercorsieOrari.php

Or decide which nice smaller town connects well to the cities via public transport. For example, Cefalù is an easy train ride to Palermo and you can easily visit Catania from Siracusa or Taormina by train or Interbus.

You would find that these towns offer more to see and do than satellite towns around the bigger cities.

Regards,

Vagabonda

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
59 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Come faccio tuto resto?

I know that small gems are the best ones... But.... but... its not just that...about "satellite towns"...

In Palermo I would like to see a lot of stuff: Cappella Palatina, Catacombe dei Cappuccini, Museo Archeologico Regionale, Museo Internazionale delle Marionette, Chiesa di San Giovanni degli Eremiti and all others beautiful sacral sights...churches, Palazzo dei Normanni... Palermo markets....Giardino dei Giusti.... I need at most 2, 3 days... Do you agree?

Thats why I need safe hotel garage or hotel parking place in Palermo district, where I can leave safely car and walk around.

:(

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Come faccio tuto resto?

You would require two full days and possibly three days in Palermo – The Museo Archeologico Regionale closed again for restorations on 18 July (2011). It’s hoped to open next spring (2012), but there are no guarantees.

The Museo Archeologico Regionale had reopened in spring 2010 but closed again last month, and although there’s no anticipated date for reopening, it may not be closed for long.

You obviously want to stay in Palermo – Parking at the airport is pricey, but parking is also expensive in the city and then you would also deal with the traffic.

Buona Fortuna!

Vagabonda

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
59 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Come faccio tuto resto?

Grazie Vagabonda per tutte le informazioni utili e per la pazienza...

I need to stay in Palermo district more then 1 day, in a hotel with its own parking place or garage. Then continue to Agrigento end east coast... During my travel time, maybe I'll get in touch with you to get some more help!

Ciaoooo

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Come faccio tuto resto?

Prego monde2609 – My pleasure!

I understand you prefer to stay in Palermo – Just know what to expect....

8 day self drive tour in Sicily:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3241…

7 days in Sicily to see as much as possible:

tripadvisor.com/…33620125

Palermo:

tripadvisor.com/…33992027

You might consider the Excelsior Hilton Palermo

expedia.com/Palermo-Hotels-Excelsior-Hilton-…

Buona Fortuna - Enjoy the treasures of Palermo!

Vagabonda

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
59 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Come faccio tuto resto?

Thank you very much... I will read carefully all links tonight, but... here's one for you: from Croatia, Dubrovnik:

Just married Sicilia tour

du-moto.com/forum/index.php/topic,5724.0.htm

Many of my citizens go to Sicily this way (by bike).

What do you think about their itinerary and route, time & etc...? They are cute bikers and this is their honey moon in adventure-motorcycle-sicilian style! They look so so happy there!

P.S. you will not understand our language... it is written in Croatian, but you will see ;)

Have a great weekend Vagabonda!

Reply to: Come faccio tuto resto?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ragusa