We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My opinion (positive) on Praiano

Which Praiano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
My opinion (positive) on Praiano

Hi all,

I just got back from Italy and spent 4 nights in Praiano at Hotel Margherita at the very end of October. Like many others I had considered staying in Positano and Amalfi as well but finally decided on Praiano.

I had stayed in Praiano last summer at hotel La Perla and had enjoyed it but never really got a sense of the town (or even knew where it was!).

Well this year, at the location where I was staying, I've gotta say I thought it was an amazing town, the Bar del Sole where the locals seem to converge (maybe more touristy in the summer?), overlooking the church where the kids play ball in the evenings while their parents, mostly mothers, look on, the small quiet streets and alleyways, the wonderful people and the great restaurants all combine to make for a great place to stay on the Amalfi coast if you want somewhere quieter than Amalfi or Positano but yet with still a little life going on.

The town is definitely very sprawled out and so may not be for everyone but a lot more hotels offer free parking than in the other two towns (understandable logistically) and many hotels and even restaurants will pick you up/drop you off before or after dinner.

I visited both Amalfi and Positano and both are great places that are absolutely gorgeous, so nothing against them at all and hope to stay in both at some point!

Just a little plug for Praiano as I enjoyed my time there so much!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: My opinion (positive) on Praiano

Hi lizawarring,

First off I can't say enough good about Hotel Margherita, I wrote a separate review of it that I guess can be accessed by clicking on my user name if you'd like.

I stayed in October and got a deluxe seaview room on the top floor that was reasonably priced since it wasn't high season, I don't think May is either.

I posted a photo of the view and one of the room with the review. I think any of the seaview rooms would be great regardless if they're deluxe or not.

I think the town/hotel would work for couples in their early 30's, it's a short walk to the main bus stop or else the hotel staff can drop you there.

As for going out in town, it's very different from Positano or Amalfi, much smaller but there are two main areas with clusters of restaurants and bars, one on the main road on the west side of town and the other to the east and down by the beach. The Margherita is sort've in the middle but again if you get tired of walking they'll drop you off and pick you up from anywhere in town.

Now Vino on the terrace...you may never leave the hotel! The views day or night are spectacular and along with the balconies on the rooms, I think they all have one, there is a huge terrace and a small pool area, the pool is very small and shallow by the way but still great.

Also the hotel restaurant, Ristorante Mama is excellent, I ate there twice, both times had the chef's menu of the day and loved it. Reasonably priced as well I thought. When I was there the restaurant terrace on the roof was not open but hopefully it would be in May.

I really have no clue about Music at the Rocks so can't help there.

Three restaurants that I enjoyed for their views/locations were Trattoria Da Armandino, on the beach, Il Pirata on the path down to the beach and right on the water and Locanda Costa Diva on the main road, great views and set amongst the lemon groves.

Also entertainment wise the Africana club down by the water seems to be pretty spectacular but wasn't open when I was there.

If you enjoy a bit of a hike, the Path of the Gods high above the town is spectacular for scenery and views but lots of stairs/climbs.

I hope you guys have a great trip!

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: My opinion (positive) on Praiano

Lizawarring: if you book at Margherita there is a little store down the road called Tutto per Tutti and it has a good wine cellar downstairs. The deluxe rooms at Margherita have a nice little terrace where you can sit and enjoy your vino. The hotel bar also serves drinks that you can take back to your room or enjoy on the large terrace upstairs with your friends. Praiano should be fun for you. Lots of people post good reviews for Vivaro restaurant but be sure to book. I haven't yet been because I didn't book in time but hope to get there in late April. You could get to Positano by SITA bus or the local "Flavio Gioia" bus or by taxi from/to Praiano. Dropping off or picking up from the "Sponda" stop where Via Cristoforo Colombo meets the Amalfi Coast road (SS163) should not run more than 16 euro. Split between two couples it's a good option considering the convenience vs. the bus. All of Positano is an easy walk from that point but be very prepared for the vertical terrain…none (or very little) of the walking is flat…most is fairly steeply sloping or steps.

13. Re: My opinion (positive) on Praiano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 04, 2015