We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with travel from Rome to Praiano

phoefling@lths.org
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help with travel from Rome to Praiano

We will be traveling from Rome to Praiano in June. Having done much reading on this forum, it sounds like the best way to do it is to take the fast train from Rome to Salerno. Then take the SITA on to Praiano. Should I purchase tickets in advance. If not, can credit cards be used for the train and bus? How long is the total travel time and what is the cost? Thanks so much!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,502 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with travel from Rome to Praiano

The time and cost of the train trip will vary according to what kind of train you choose: the faster trains cost more. You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html but it is unlikely you will be able to book through this site, as it seldom accepts cards issued outside Europe. If you have problems, just buy the train tickets in Italy. You can use your card in Italy to buy train tickets.

The bus tickets will be a few euros, and you will need to pay cash. There is no advance purchase that I know of.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,437 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with travel from Rome to Praiano

The Trenitalia website will give you the schedules for the trains from Rome to Salerno which will show you the different options and how long the rides is (plus the price) and while I can't recall the price of the Sita bus from Salerno to Praiano (I think less than 4 euros, not sure), I know the ride is about 75 minutes in the bus.\\

You can't buy your train tickets as the Trenitalia website doesn't accept US credit cards but you won't have any problem buying them while you are there in Italy.

The bus tickets I believe will need to be bought with cash but you may be able to use a credit card for those, but I don't think so.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with travel from Rome to Praiano

There are several ways to get from Rome to Praiano. The easiest is via Salerno.

You will be taking either a Eurostar (ES) train (37 Euros) or an Intercity (IC) train (23.50 Euros) from Roma Termini to Salerno. It's not necessary to book in advance for the trains in June (particularly before the 15th). You should be able to get on your first or second choice of train departures. You can use cash or a credit card for the train tickets if purchased at a train station in Italy or at an automated ticket machine within a station.

You will actually need to take TWO SITA buses: the first from Salerno to Amalfi (75 mins; 3.60 Euros), the second from Amalfi to Praiano (25 mins; 2.40 Euros). There's a short and convenient connection in Amalfi. See the link to the schedules below.

You may wish to purchase a full-day UNICO COSTIERA SITA bus ticket for unlimited rides along the Amalfi Coast (Salerno to Sorrento including Ravello) for 7.20 Euros, or even the 3-day UNICO COSTIERA ticket for 18 Euros.

If you plan to ride the buses or trains beyond the Amalfi Coast during these three days (e.g. to Pompei or Paestum), for just 2 Euros more, you can buy the 3-day UNICO CAMPANIA tourist ticket (which is also valid for the SITA buses along the Amalfi Coast).

These UNICO ticket are NOT valid on ferries or hydrofoils, only on buses and regionale trains, and the Circumvesuviana commuter train between Sorrento/Pompei and Naples.

You must use cash to purchase the UNICO tickets from most vendors. At the Salerno train station, you can buy these tickets from the newsstand inside the station. The bus stops 5 yards in front of the station's front doors.

www.unicocampania.it (don't confuse the UNICO CAMPANIA tickets and the UNICO COSTIERA tickets)

www.ferroviedellostato.it

www.sitabus.it

sitabus.it/sitabus/…QUADROXV.pdf

4. Re: Help with travel from Rome to Praiano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:25 am, February 26, 2011