We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries?

Which Praiano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Marblehead, MA
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Groceries?

Wondering if I'll be able to get eggs, bread, fruit and veggies at a market in praiano, can anyone tell me what kind of groceries you can get at the stores in praiano?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries?

There is certainly 1 grocery store in Praiano that carries most everything you would want and I know there is a smaller one that has some of them. Either way you will be fine.

Marblehead, MA
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries?

Thanks that is helpful

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries?

The corner store equivalent is an alimentari ....so if you come across one in/on a piazza ........you should have one close by depending on how far up the slope you are.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries?

There's a small market near the central part of the town, and then there is also Tutto per Tutti (I think it is called). You can see a map of it here:

http://www.gummy-stuff.org/Praiano-diary.htm (not my link... just googled it)

I was staying very far up the hill and one of the guys who worked at Tutti drove me (and all of my groceries) all the way up to my house... and wouldn't accept a tip. Those guys at the market were great. If you can't find staples (bread, salt) ask for it... sometimes they are kept in bulk behind the counter.

Also - remember that the stores will close midday (1:30ish - to 4:00 or so, so plan accordingly)

Praiano is awesome. Have fun!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries?

We had a similar experience at Tutto per Tutti. We were exhausted from walking up from the marina (and very hot .... it was over 100 that particular day) and my wife was having a slight asthma attack. I had to go to Tutto per Tutti anyway to buy some groceries (and, yes, they do keep a lot of things tucked away so definitely ask if you do not see something). My cell phone had died and I was trying to call a taxi to take us up the rest of the way to San Luca area of Praiano (much further up the hill). They offered me the use of the phone and when I could not get a taxi to pick us up in a reasonable amount of time (we were going to have to wait for 90 minutes) the owner asked his son to take us. We piled the 5 of us in his very, very small Italian car (2 of us sitting in each others laps) along with 8 bags of groceries and he zipped us up to our house. I tried very, very hard to tip him 20 euros and he would not take it, I tried tipping him 10 euros then and he would not take it. Finally, he told me that it was his pleasure to drive us and, even if he wanted any money ... which he didn't, if he took any his Dad would kick his butt. We all shared a laugh and were so touched by his sense of humor and sincerity. Italians are so very kind and Praiano is a lovely village.

6. Re: Groceries?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 03, 2011