We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel in the cliffs or closer to beach

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
hotel in the cliffs or closer to beach

I am so torn about where to book a hotel: in the cliffs with spectacular views or closer to the beach looking UP towards the cliffs....please help me decide (October 2016 trip) We are beach people but also enjoy the large views from staying up high...what are your pros and cons?

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,674 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel in the cliffs or closer to beach

Which hotels are you deciding between? Specific location makes a difference.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel in the cliffs or closer to beach

We stay at the Covo dei Saraceni which is right on the beach (pebbly) but request a higher floor as it's also built into the cliff. Best of both worlds!

It's a very personal thing - we prefer the convenience of being close to the restaurants and beach. Whatever you choose you can"t go wrong it's a wonderful place!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel in the cliffs or closer to beach

If it's early in October and swimming is an option, then closer to the beach. If not, then higher up.

- Typed from beach in Positano.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel in the cliffs or closer to beach

We are looking at staying at Covo dei Saraceni OR Positano Art Hotel Pasitea

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,958 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel in the cliffs or closer to beach

It's between those two - I'd choose Covo in a heartbeat; the other is way the heck up in the village - and while the views are great from up there - personally, I don't like such a long walk down to the sea but, that is personal, obviously. I stayed at Villa Gabrisa which is next door to that hotel (Pasitea Art) but that was for a March stay and I didn't mind being so high up off season when weather more impacted how I spent my days.

Never stayed up so high again - you do enough climbing in the village (well, I do) - Covo's views are of the sea and the village; you are right next to the pathway to Il Fornillo - lovely smaller beach than the main beach and a wonderful brief 10-15 minute walk along side the sea -

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel in the cliffs or closer to beach

THANKS so much for your input.

I had already (pretty-much) decided on the beach/Covo area and appreciate your thoughts :)

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,674 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel in the cliffs or closer to beach

Ditto MC's advice.

8. Re: hotel in the cliffs or closer to beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, September 03, 2017