We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to sorrento, then positano, then capri

Jersey City
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
to sorrento, then positano, then capri

Hello,

I am planning a honeymoom trip to the Amalfi Coast ... We're getting married on October 9 and plan to fly out of Newark airport or JFK October 11.

My fiance and I are 27 yrs old and find ourselves having the best time when we take in the sites and cultures that are generally outside the mainstream. The Amalfi Coast has such beautiful scenery along with romantic spots, amazing ruins, cathedrals, gardens....it's a coast we can't wait to travel to!

Just want to make sure that I am on the right path as I plan the basics of the trip. We will be flying into Rome and transferring to Naples; from Naples we head over to Sorrento via the Circumvesvania line. We plan to most likely spend 2 - 3 days in Sorrento as well as visit Ancient Pompeii during these days. I plan to stay at the Loureley et Loundres here.

Then we're off to Positano. Perhaps a taxi would be an easy way to get here from Sorrento? I think we would stay at Casa Albertina...staying here for about 2 or 3 days and from Positano, we plan to take a ferry over to Capri.

I haven't started to look into hotels around Capri...any suggestions? From Capri, we plan to take a ferry to Naples

airport.

Is this a decent way to travel around? How far in advance should I book the hotels (I hear some get filled rather quickly)?

Please offer any thoughts and insights - very much appreciated!

New England
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to sorrento, then positano, then capri

When you say transfer to Naples, do you mean by plane,train or automobile???? I flew from Newark to Rome recently and went on to Sorrento. The plane landed in Rome about 7:30am. We couldn't have made it to Naples and then on to Sorrento on what little energy I had left after that all-night flight. It was difficult just getting to our hotel, just 30 or so minutes on the airport shuttle train to Termini. We stayed overnight in Rome near the Termini and felt much better the next day. The Trentalia train took about 2.5 hrs (eurostar is probably half the time)to get from Rome to Naples. Then, it was at least another hour by the local train to get to Sorrento. That was not a pretty ride, but it was cheap. We decided to hire a car to take us back to Naples on the return side instead. I guess it depends how adventurous you are. I don't want to discourage you in anyway, no matter how you get to the Amalfi Coast....it's worth the trip!! There is a wonderful bus that takes you from Sorrento to Amalfi. It leaves just about every hour from the Sorrento train station. You can get off in Positano if you choose. You can take a taxi, just about everyone will over you an excursion when you step in a cab, but it will cost you a lot more. I hope this helps, it is just wonderful, you will absolutly love it there. Good Luck

Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
189 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: to sorrento, then positano, then capri

how about flying into Naples ( from JFK or EWR )?

since all you are doing in Rome is transferring to Naples anyway.

this coach service offers direct service ( 1 hour ) to sorrento ( direct from NAP )

http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

we are heading from Venice to Positano in July, and afer much research I decided that the easiest and fastest way for us to do that is to fly nonstop from VCE to NAP, then take this bus to sorrento.

now the best way from sorrento ( cab, bus, hired car ) to Positano, I am still looking into

enjoy your honeymoon! Positano looks great. We are looking forward to it as well

Jersey City
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: to sorrento, then positano, then capri

Ciao

I've since changed my plans slightly...we're actually flying out of Newark airport and having a lay over of 2 hours in London, then transferring to Naples. There aren't any direct flights to Naples from the US; and stopping in London was just a little cheaper. Once we hit Naples, we will be taking the Curreri bus (thanks for those tips) to Sorrento. It is quite some traveling, but I'll have to put my happy face on for the adventure!

We're not going to spend the night in Positano, instead we'll hit Positano on a day trip. I'm currently researching the best way to get over there as well...so far I've been told a taxi is a decent way to get there...but I'm still looking...I'll post what I come up with :)

Getting to Capri from Sorrento seems easy via a ferry...

thanks so much for the advice...

Carolyn

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: to sorrento, then positano, then capri

You can take a boat right out of Naples to Capri. Don't know the cost, but I would think it's more senic. Then do the circle tour on your way back. I hope this helps, as this is our plan in March. If money is no problem, hire a driver at each town to get inside info and it's fun!