We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we stay in Positano or Sorrento

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Do we stay in Positano or Sorrento

I have never been to Positano but have stayed in Sorrento. We are travelling in late August. Can anyone tell me what Positano is like.. Is it as busy as Sorrento - which I love - and would you recommend having it as your base. .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,127 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we stay in Positano or Sorrento

Positano is much much smaller than Sorrento - is it a village - one of numerous ones on the Amalfi Coast; if you want to stay on the AC, choose one of the AC villages (Sorrento is not on the AC)

www.positano.com

www.amalficoastweb.com

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
39 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we stay in Positano or Sorrento

As I posted earlier, Positano is amazing and beautiful. It is, however, VERY HILLY & mostly STEPS!

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we stay in Positano or Sorrento

Thank you. I guess you need to be young and fit to stay there. I have booked a hotel which appears to be more on street level. I am a little worried though that the steps may become a bit difficult. I will have to rethink my visit and perhaps reconsider Sorrento..

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we stay in Positano or Sorrento

It's true that Positano has lots of steps - it's all built on a hillside, so everything is either uphill or downhill.. however, my husband manages (with care and plenty of pit-stops) and he has mobility problems..

Positano is very busy in the daytimes but quietens down considerably in the evenings.

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
285 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we stay in Positano or Sorrento

There are also local buses that connect the lower part of the town with the main road at the top (where the coastal route buses stop); I think they are run by a company called Flavio Gioia. I've just returned from Sorrento, which I thought was an excellent base for touring by public transport, and would probably pick Amalfi over Positano if I want to be on the southern coast, purely from the viewpoint of what's easily accessible by bus and ferry.

6. Re: Do we stay in Positano or Sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 09, 2015