We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pisa to Positano + 3 Additional days in Positano

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pisa to Positano + 3 Additional days in Positano

Hello!

I'm looking for some insight and advise for several different things. We are 4 adults, and will be traveling from Florence to Positano on Tuesday, May 27th and leaving Saturday, May 31st. We would like to take a day trip to Pisa before heading to Positano on the Tuesday. We would like to keep our costs down, however would still like to take the fastest and most direct route to get to Positano. Which trains or other modes of transportation would be best for us, to get from Florence to Pisa, and then from Pisa to Positano, while still giving us time to visit Pisa?

Secondly, on our next day, Wednesday, we would like to visit Pompeii, Vesuvio and Ercolano. Rather than having a driver for the entire duration of the day, is it possible to take a train to Pompeii (from Positano), and then meet a driver there to take us to Vesuvio and Ercolano after we tour Pompeii? We don't mind having a driver to show us around a bit, but we feel that perhaps it is unnecessary to have to pay a driver to sit and wait for us while we take the 2 hour tour in Pompeii of the ruins. We'd like to keep things as simple and unrushed as possible, but still we would like to keep our costs down as much as possible.

Lastly, we will still have Thursday and Friday in Positano. We have not made any definite plans for these 2 days, but our thought is to visit the towns of Amalfi by water taxi on one of those days, and then have a free day in Positano to just "hang out". Would you have any other suggestions for these 2 days? We also thought of taking a day trip to Capri.

Any thoughts, suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sorrento, Italy
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Pisa to Positano + 3 Additional days in Positano

Hello LoriKim! My suggestion to you as a Sorrento resident is when you visit Positano wich is on the amalfitan coast! You should be able to take the SITA buses,that have the destination written on the front! But i wouldnt go wandering to much astray in the vesuvian areas like Ercolano! That are less safe! But would seek some kind of guidance there to the excavations for an example.About the transport from Pisa to Positano,wich are very far apart! There is definetly a lot of changing trains envolved! Hope this was useful! Have a safe trip!

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Pisa to Positano + 3 Additional days in Positano

Hi LoriKim:

To get from Pisa to Positano with the major part of the journey by train you would first travel from Pisa back to Florence before continuing on to Naples. If you store your luggage at Florence SMN you will not have to spend time on that in Pisa where you may have very limited time (depending on the train schedules you choose).

You could take the 0828 train from Florence to Pisa, arriving at 0928. If you think a quick stop (just over 90 minutes) in Pisa is enough, you could take the 1112 train from Pisa back to Florence, arriving at 1200 and then connect to a 1238 train arriving Naples at 1535. Personally, I think this is a little tight, unless I wanted to do a flash and dash photo op. Alternatively, for a longer visit to Pisa, there is a 1232 train to Florence that connects to a 1404 train to Naples, arriving at 1655. Not much time for a Pompeii stopover even with a driver because sundown is scheduled to occur just before 1830 on May 27 in the Naples/Pompeii area.

Whether you go to Naples or Salerno from Florence is up to you. When you end your train journey, if you are hiring a driver to Positano and want to avoid potentially gridlocked traffic in Naples you could go to Salerno. I prefer Salerno because of the traffic issue in Naples but only if I can find a schedule that suits my needs and involves no change in Rome or Naples. Italotreno (rather than Trenitalia) offers such schedules that would work for you on May 27: a 1233 departure from Florence arrives in Salerno at 1604, and a later 1433 departure from Florence arrives Salerno at 1804. These schedules are indeed longer in duration than those to Naples but eliminate the chance for a greater delay due to traffic in Naples. Via private driver, the trip from Salerno to Positano is approximately 60 minutes. From Naples to Positano it is 60+ minutes depending on traffic conditions. The extra time spent on the train to Salerno vs Naples can be made up or at least evened out with the savings of time on the drive between Naples and Positano depending on traffic and your nerves will be spared if that is ever a problem for you.

Now, for the ultimately most important consideration in the Naples vs. Salerno question: the view. Both drives are breathtaking. However, the Naples to Positano drive offers two incredibly spectacular vistas: one just at the curve where Sorrento comes into view and the other just when you head out of Piano di Sorrento down and around the curve to the left to see the Amalfi Coast spread out before you into the distance. I'm not even sure the potential for awful traffic in Naples outweighs those absolutely stunning views. (Not to mention the views looking back across the Bay of Naples and on to Vesuvius which will hopefully not be obscured by clouds or atmosphere.) Maybe that's why I usually put up with the potential for Naples traffic on the way to the AC and head out of Salerno on my way back. And, I've made it to Positano in an hour from Naples (but the driver was a little scarier than I would have liked.)

If you choose not to hire a private driver to pick you up at Naples or Salerno: you would avoid traffic in Naples altogether by taking the Circumvesuviana commuter train to Sorrento and then the SITA bus from Sorrento to Positano. This option would avoid surface street traffic out of Naples. From Salerno to Positano the only option would be bus travel via Amalfi (with a change of bus). If you do the Pisa stop on the 27th there is no way to get to Salerno in time to do a ferry from Salerno to Positano (if the ferries are even running that day...the schedules can be cancelled abruptly due to weather) on the same day. Well, I guess you could start the day earlier with the crack of dawn trip from Florence to Pisa...but that is another set of train schedules.

Regarding a stopover at Pompeii enroute to Positano via private driver: this is physically doable, but keep in mind sunset is scheduled to occur just before 1830 on May 27 in the Naples/Pompeii area.

I would opt to make Pompeii, etc., a separate day trip. You can do it very economically by SITA bus from Positano to Sorrento where you would catch the Circumvesuviana commuter train to Pompeii. That train continues on to Herculaneum (Ercolano in Italy). It also circumnavigates the base of Vesuvius on a separate line. It would be a very long day to hit all three but again it's physically possible. Hiring a driver from one of those points (Vesuvius?) might be a good idea. SITA buses can be jam-packed but for this day to work you will need to leave very early so you should miss at least some of the tourist load on the buses but they can also be crowded with commuters. On the way back, stop in Sorrento for dinner and catch one of the later buses back to Positano. You'll be totally exhausted but would have had a great day. Hope all this helps.

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Pisa to Positano + 3 Additional days in Positano

Correction: sundown is anticipated at 2024 (824pm) on May 27 in the Naples/Pompeii area. Maybe you'd have time for brief stop that would depend on closing time at Pompeii.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Pisa to Positano + 3 Additional days in Positano

Thank you all again for all your help, tips and suggestions! We've done some rethinking now, and rearranged some of our itinerary due to your helpful input!

Monday (last day in Florence) - Go to Pisa, rather than doing it on Tuesday before heading to Positano.

This will give us all of Tuesday-Friday in Positano to do as we please. One of those days will take the ferry around Amalfi Coast, end in Sorrento and stay for the evening and dinner.

Saturday is the day we leave for Naples for the night, and head back home Sunday morning. Saturday is also the day we will do the tour of Pompeii/Vesuvius/Ercolano before heading to Naples for the evening.

1) Would you suggest anything/anywhere else somewhat close by while visiting Pisa (Siena, Luca, ??)?

2) We will get a private car for the Pompeii/Vesuvius/Ercolano tours (we are aware that the actual site tours are not given by driver). Should we have the driver pick us up at our hotel with our luggage, go to Vesuvius and Ercolano first, then have him drop us off in Pompeii where we can store our luggage, and then take a train from there to Naples, and then car/taxi from Naples to hotel? OR Would it be better to have the driver pick us up at hotel, and keep him with us the whole time and drop us off at the hotel in Naples. We are not trying to be cheap, but want to save as much as we can. It seems like a bit of a waste to hire someone to sit and wait for us while we tour/walk around for a few hours. We are definitely willing to go for the second option if that would work out best for us though. Also, what about lunch during the afternoon? Anything nearby? Does driver go with us if we have him all day?

Pnaj, I love the idea of taking the scenic route (albeit the traffic) from Naples to Positano. Thank you for your in depth review, very helpful in making that decision!

Thanks again!

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Pisa to Positano + 3 Additional days in Positano

I am not sure about taking the ferry around the Amalfi Coast, then ending in Sorrento and staying for dinner. Do you mean you will take the ferry from Positano to Amalfi, then back to Positano where you will catch the different 5:00 ferry to Sorrento? If so, you will arrive in Sorrento just around 6:00, which won't leave you much time for sightseeing (not sure what you plan on seeing there). How will you get back to Positano after dinner? Seems like a bit of wasted effort, but I have never been enamored with Sorrento.

I would have the driver take you to Pompeii, where you can store your luggage. You can reach Herculaneum via train from Pompeii and I think there are buses to Vesuvius from Pompeii as well. Once you are done with all that, you can retrieve your luggage and train to Naples.

Lucca is a charming town and easily reached via train on your Pisa day.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Pisa to Positano + 3 Additional days in Positano

I have a similar question on behalf of my daughter. She is studying in Florence and is looking to spend a long weekend on the Amalfi coast. My feeling is that nothing compares to Positano, but I'm looking for the best way to get her there. This would be the first weekend in May, so my question is, if she takes the train from Florence SMN to Naples, is there a ferry from Naples to Positano? She could leave early in the day, so arriving late is not a problem, but I wasn't sure if there was a ferry that runs from Naples to Positano. I'm aware of the local train to Sorrento and then the bus, but this seems pretty complicated. In the end, we may have to go with a private driver, but since she's traveling with other college students, I'm not sure they are willing to pay for that. Or time wise does it make sense to take the longer train to Salerno and then the ferry to Positano?

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Pisa to Positano + 3 Additional days in Positano

Very simple. Train from Florence to Salerno, then ferry from Salerno to Positano. The ferry dock is within easy walking distance of the train station. Easy!

18. Re: Pisa to Positano + 3 Additional days in Positano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 26, 2015