We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Positano to Bari

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Positano to Bari

I'm traveling with my husband in August 2014 and want to get from Positano to Bari (Italy) to catch the ferry to Dubrovnik. I'm happy to travel by bus or train and expect that we'll need to leave from Naples. I tried the Trenitalia site and couldn't make sense of it, dito the Sita site. (not sure if I had the correct web address - got the infor from a 2011 forum). The "Rail Europe Travel Expert" tells me I need to return to Rome, which seems ridiculous! The ferry leaves Bari at 22:00, I would prefer to leave Positano and get on the Ferry in Bari all in the one day. Any information would be appreciated.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
736 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Positano to Bari

In my opinion the best way is:

1) ferry Positano-Salerno (Piazza Concordia, at 10-15 minutes walking distance from the train station)

theamalficoast.net/amalfi/english/amalfi_coa…

2) local ("Regionale") train Salerno-Caserta

There are direct trains every one or two hours, 1 hr 10 minutes (or less) travel time. No advanced ticket purchase possible, just buy the ticket at Salerno station, validate it before boarding the train

Allow one hour time or more between your arrival and your departure in Caserta.

3) "Frecciargento" train, Caserta-Bari, fast train, reserved seats. The current time is 4:03pm --> 6:48pm, it is assumed that it will change not much on the next summer.

For this train, book on line as soon as possible, to take advantage of discounted fares.

For train times, www.trenitalia.com, then click on UK flag. For online purchase, apply at the same site, or at "Italiarail"

For all those stretches, please check for exact August timetables, when they will be published. Particularly for trains, wait for the timetable's summer change, on June

I hope this helps

Brun066

Edited: 2:22 pm, February 02, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,281 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Positano to Bari

Trains Salerno or Naples to Bari www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times.

Buses Salerno or Naples to Bari www.sitasudtrasporti.it Click on Orari for Campania bus times.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Positano to Bari

Thanks so much for you're detailed information. I'll check it out.

Cheers

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
815 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Positano to Bari

We are going to Bari in June.

We thought we would get a flight from Naples to Bari but it also goes via Rome so we will be flying this route with Alitalia. We are spending one day in Bari then taking the ferry to Patras Greece also @ 22.00. If you flew you could do it one day...

Obviously a more expensive option..

Cheers

5. Re: Positano to Bari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 04, 2015