We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Positano vs. Amalfi

CaWino
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Positano vs. Amalfi

We are considering spending four days in one of these cities in September. We will be coming from Rome via train as far as Salerno. We have a few questions:

1. Which is better?

2. Is car rental recommended or is public transportion adequate?

3. I've read where some have rented a driver in Salerno to get to hotel and return. Any thoughts or recommendations on this?

4. We would like to take sidtrips to Capri and Pompeii. Any recommended tour company?

Molte gratzie!

Toronto
Level Contributor
287 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Positano vs. Amalfi

Hey CaWino

We went through this debate a few montha ago and decided on Amalfi (bit bigger, more to do) but will definitely spend soem time in Positano

Also debated about getting a train to Naples and then private car to Amalfi or train to Salerno and then ferry to Amalfi which sounds more interesting and cheaper but I am not sure about the ferry schedule later in the day when we will be arriving

I think driver rentals (private car) are popular and a good way to get around especially if you have luggage and are travelling with a family. I have 2 companies I can refer you to if you are interested

We decided against Capri because it would take the whole day but there are a couiple of boat trip companies I will dig up for you. We want to go to Pompeei at night but are also unsure of the best way to get there. I am thinking again of a private car, stopping off at Ravello on the way but am still researching this

Charlie