We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salerno to Hotel Eden Roc

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
108 posts
38 reviews
Salerno to Hotel Eden Roc

Hi!

We are traveling to Positano from Rome next week. Reading other threads in here it seems that the train from Termini to Salerno is the way to go. Once we get to Salerno, what would be the best way to arrive at Hotel Eden Roc? The hotel offered a private car for 120 euro. Yikes! I read about the ferry from Salerno to Positano, but wondering how far it lets us off from the hotel. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Heathre

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
34,224 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Salerno to Hotel Eden Roc

Most comfortable way would be to take the ferry from Salerno to Positano - from the ferry dock, you will have to walk up through the pedestrian only portion of the village to your hotel but there are porters near the dock that can take your luggage up for you - you can check with your hotel about this as to details.

http://www.coopsantandrea.com (for ferry info)

If you take the bus, you should get off at the first stop in Positano (tell driver this is where you need to get off) -

Your hotel's website has map with their location:

http://www.edenroc.it/en/location/

The car service is a nice, fuss free way to arrive if it is in your budget. But, if I were going to take a car service, then I would just take the train to Naples and be picked up there by the car service - from Naples the car would run between 100-120 euros, depending on which car service. I always do this when I visit Positano just because I like the convenience. But, the ferry and bus are definite alternatives.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
108 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: Salerno to Hotel Eden Roc

Thank you! The car service definitely seems the easiest way to go, but we'd rather save the $ for food and wine :)

Am I correct in that we need to go from FCO to Termini to catch the fast train to Salerno?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
34,224 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Salerno to Hotel Eden Roc

Yes - you have to get to Termini

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Salerno to Hotel Eden Roc

While most tourists board the Salerno-bound train from Roma TERMINI station (and travel on government-owned Trenitalia/Ferrovie dello Stato), you COULD go to Roma TIBURTINA station and board the privately-owned competitor ITALO TRENO direct to Salerno, if you wish to do so.

If you're starting out from FCO airport, it's just as easy to get to Tiburtina as it is to get to Termini (there are separate airport trains going to both stations).

However, if you're starting out from central Rome (and especially if your hotel is within walking distance to Termini Station), it usually makes sense to take the train from Termini.

Also, there is a better selection of direct trains to Salerno from Termini than from Tiburtina. The difference in fare is usually minimal.

I usually recommend neophyte tourists to board the train at Termini, which has a much wider selection of food/beverage vendors, as well as two small grocery stores, a pharmacy, banks, ATMs, restaurants, gelaterie, and bars/cafes, right in the station itself. By contrast, Tiburtina has very little (even though it is a brand-new station).

Edited: 11:56 am, August 10, 2013
San Diego...
Level Contributor
108 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Salerno to Hotel Eden Roc

Sorry, I had read there was a 'fast' train from Termini to Salerno but I am unable to find it. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

H

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Salerno to Hotel Eden Roc

On the Trenitalia website, look for the "Frecciarossa" train between Roma TERMINI and Salerno.

On the Italo Treno website, look for any DIRECT through train between Roma TIBURTINA and Salerno

Travel time on the FASTEST train is about two hours.

There are also slower, less expensive TRENITALIA trains from Roma TERMINI: the Frecciabianca and the Intercity trains.

Do not confuse the various train categories, do not confuse the different departure stations in Rome, and do not confuse the two train operators (which are competitors).

www.trenitalia.it

www.italotreno.it

If you are taking the train to Salerno immediately after arrival by plane at Roma FCO, I caution AGAINST booking in advance through the website, because you cannot know in advance whether your plane will arrive on time, late, or how late.

Discounted train tickets (on either operator) become WORTHLESS and are FORFEITED if you MISS the train (even by one second) because of a late-arriving plane. Even the full-fare tickets (BASE fare) become WORTHLESS and are FORFEITED if you MISS the train by more than ONE HOUR.

Consequently, in this case, you're advised to wait to purchase the train tickets until you arrive in Rome (at the Trenitalia FCO airport train station, or directly at Tiburtina Station if you're taking Italo Treno).

If instead, you're starting out from central Rome (having overnighted there), you can book IN ADVANCE through the website and take advantage of the sometimes terrific discounted fares offered by both train operators. With Trenitalia, you can usually book up to FOUR MONTHS in advance. With Italo Treno, the maximum advance booking period can vary throughout the year.

Be aware that most of the discounted tickets are non-refundable, and the cheapest discounted tickets are ALSO non-changeable, so you must be VERY CERTAIN of your travel plans before booking these fares in advance.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: Salerno to Hotel Eden Roc

Two more points to make:

1. Trenitalia also operates the Frecciargento train between Roma Termini and Salerno, which is just as fast as the Frecciarossa. You can take these trains interchangeably in terms of speed, cost and level of comfort.

2. Do not confuse Trenitalia DIRECT trains between Roma Termini and Salerno and those trains which require a connection at Napoli Centrale. Taking a non-direct train will take longer, sometimes cost more, and runs the risk of a missed connection. Take a direct train instead.

3. Remember that you must walk 800 meters from the Salerno train station and the ferry dock next to Piazza della Concordia, where you board the Cooperativa Sant'Andrea ferry boat to Amalfi or Positano (April through October only). The boats are subject to cancellation due to bad weather. Allow 10-15 minutes to for this pleasant and easy walk to the dock.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
108 posts
38 reviews
8. Re: Salerno to Hotel Eden Roc

Ok great, thank you! I thought I had read somewhere the fast train was 70 minutes. I was able to find the 2 hour direct ride - makes sense. We are not planning to buy train tickets ahead of time. No telling how long it will take us to get toTermini after we land.

Thanks again so much!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
108 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: Salerno to Hotel Eden Roc

Hmmmmm. so looks like we most likely will not get to Salerno before the last ferry at 1530.

Would we be better off going to Naples? And to Positano from there??

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: Salerno to Hotel Eden Roc

The last ferry from Salerno-Concordia Dock to Positano should be at 17.10, per the Coopsantandrea website:

www.coopsantandrea.it

The 70-minute train ride you reference above is between Rome and NAPLES on the fastest train. Rome to Salerno takes 120+ minutes.