We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento to Positano (LaSponda)

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Collegeville...
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Sorrento to Positano (LaSponda)

We will be staying in Sorrento in September but would like to hire a private driver to take a group of 12 to LaSponda for dinner one evening. We have several people with knee issues, so I'm wondering if it's possible to have the driver drop us very close to the restaurant so as to avoid as much walking up the steep hills of Positano as possible. I've read that vehicles are not permitted in certain parts and I'm wondering if this would be feasible for us to even consider doing. With such a large group, we may have to rent two vehicles if that would get us closer to the restaurant.

Also, we were also thinking of hiring a driver for the entire day and visit Amalfi and Ravello first and then go to Positano for a visit and dinner at LaSponda before returning to Sorrento later in the evening. This may be just too much for one day, but I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks so much.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,739 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento to Positano (LaSponda)

No problem. La Sponda is inside the hotel, Le Sirenuse, and it is right off the road - you enter right from where you are dropped off. No steps. Gorgeous restaurant and very good food.

I'd suggest going at a time where you can catch the sunset - the view is spectacular OR going earlier than your dinner reservations by about 45 plus minutes and have a drink on the terrace to catch as much of the view as possible before it gets dark.

Some car services may have a vehicle for your party - though you may need two. I use Guemar Travel - you could email and ask them and get a quote: info@guemartravel.com - they are excellent. And, they are based in Sorrento - I have used them about 8 times.

The hotel is not on the larger coastal road, but a smaller road just a bit further down - there is no obstacle to you getting up to it.

Enjoy!

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento to Positano (LaSponda)

Thanks so much for your quick reply and the great information you provided. It's exactly what I was looking for. I'm very happy to know that this can be done with no problems for those with mobility issues.

Do you think it would be advisable to visit Positano after spending some time in Ravello and Amalfi, or should we plan another day and just do a separate trip to Positano and spend some time there and then have dinner? I don't want to cram too much into a day, but would like to just hire a driver for one day, if possible.

Lastly, how far in advance do you recommend booking our dinner reservations? Thanks for the info for Guemar Travel. I'll be in touch with them for a quote. Thanks again!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,739 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento to Positano (LaSponda)

Depending on the level of mobility issues, Positano could be a challenge. The pedestrian only portion of the village is the area that leads down to the sea/beach and has the majority of the shops along the walkway and steps. There are some steep steps down - and then, of course, back up. The road does not, as is does in Amalfi, drop you by the seaside. Ravello is flat, for the most part and the driver will have to drop you right outside the village so in order to explore Ravello, one must walk.

Amalfi has a narrow road that runs through the village and on both sides there are shops/restaurants - there are inclines and hills/steps in Amalfi but the heart of the village is mostly flat and the sea/beach is easily doable as you are dropped off right there and can enjoy it.

I'm not sure you will be wanting to be dressed for La Sponda all day while exploring Ravello and Amalfi before arriving at the restaurant. If you do, then do it one day because it will be - as I said - challenging for someone who has difficulty with steps and inclines to do much in Positano. Entering the hotel and terrace is easy as is the restaurant and maybe a bit of a walk along the road the hotel is on, which isn't steep (gently sloping road) - but I think someone would feel a bit frustrated at not being able to go down into the heart of it if you were there for a few hours before dinner.

I would probably relax and enjoy Ravello and Amalfi and arrive in Positano an hour or 1.25 hours pre-dinner reservation just to walk a bit along that road, have a drink and then dinner. Are you having the driver wait while you have dinner or just arranging for another driver to pick you up about 3 or 4 hours later?

Here is a blog with a lot of photos of Positano (by someone who lives there) just to get some idea - you can see how everything is built into the sides of the cliffs and is all vertical:

http://positanodailyphoto.blogspot.com

You can see a small photo of the entrance of the hotel where you will enter here:

viajesfull.com/viajes-a-europa/…

And, just a bit more:

http://www.positano.world-guides.com

Not sure when I would book - September is still high season so you may want to email the hotel/restaurant and ask them when they recommend you book for your date.

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento to Positano (LaSponda)

The information you've provided is extremely helpful and will make our decisions much easier. I just want to say your knowledge is so much better than anything I could find in any guide book or online! Your descriptions of the Amalfi Coast are right on point with exactly what I need to know.

I didn't take into account being dressed all day and then going to dinner at night, so we'll have to think about that. As for the driver, I'll get estimates for having a driver wait, as well as arranging for someone to pick us up later on, and go with the most reasonable choice.

I'll check out the links you sent. I've looked at the pictures and they are stunning!! Once again, my sincere thanks for sharing your extensive knowledge and expertise and for being such a great contributor on TA. I've learned a lot from reading your posts.

Margie

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,739 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento to Positano (LaSponda)

It may make sense for the driver to leave you off for about 4 hours and then have another - but, I'm not sure. Guemar is based in Sorrento and it is about a 30-40 minute drive between Sorrento and Positano (again, depending on traffic) - so, who knows what is most cost effective. You can just ask them. These services handles all sorts of transfers.

You might just see what the costs will be if you do Amalfi/Ravello for one day and then just get a transfer to and from dinner on another day - given the whole issue of clothing and since it can still be very hot in September, if you are out and about most of the day, you likely would want to change clothing before dinner at La Sponda -

If wanting to save some money (and why not?) - you all could take the ferry from Sorrento to Amalfi, from which you can then take the bus up to Ravello and then take the ferry back to Sorrento - one day and another day, do the dinner with a private car(s). It's a beautiful way to see the Amalfi Coast, from the sea. Just a thought.

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorrento to Positano (LaSponda)

Yes, that sounds like the way to go as far as the driver and dinner in one day; however, I'll check with Guemar and get their input as well. I think just enjoying Positano and then having dinner in nice fresh clothing is the best thing to do.

As for another day by ferry from Sorrento to Amalfi, bus to Ravello, ferry back to Sorrento is a great plan as well. That way we'll get to experience both the coastal road drive as well as views from the water, not to mention saving the cost of a driver for an entire second day. Once again, great suggestions. Thanks so much!

7. Re: Sorrento to Positano (LaSponda)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 31, 2014